ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Quality Comparison: 8 x freeware PDF Readers / Viewers

<< < (10/22) > >>

tomos:
Just an update (thought I'd already posted about this): FoxIt Reader has been uninstalled from all my systems. Acrobat Reader 8.1 out of the box is pretty quick. I've disabled it's startup entry (for its speedup service or whatever it is) and run ARSpeedup and it's very zippy. I really don't notice a difference in speed in comparison to FoxIt. Now, I know that it's a mammoth download in comparison but all things considered, it's worth it (I'm worth it!), particularly in a world of large harddrives and broadband.
-Darwin (August 16, 2007, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

thanks for speedup tip Mike

I've been meaning to post here -
I installed the Adobe "Lite" reader as linked to by Phil above
(I'm not sure why I uninstalled Adobe Reader in the first place but...)
Nice clean install -
I'm not sure what the difference is with final installations -
no plugins I believe for one*, & yeah, clean install (didnt even create/offer a desktop shortcut :) )
I believe filling forms may be a problem

BTW, I had a problem printing some graphics with PDF-XChange -
a "fill" printed extended way out beyond it's border/containing line.
Worked okay in Acrobat.

urlwolf:
Any info on a cheaper alternative that can view and edit pdfs? I only need to highlight and and annotations. I don't want to pay hundreds for adobe 8 pro for my new laptop... :(

Grorgy:
Im using this at present, works good for me http://shop.avanquest.com/uk/prod.php?pid=2707&tr1=AQ_UK_AD_EXPDFCOM  there is a price comparison chart on the page as well

Grorgy:
actually i think exchange pdf lets you put some notes and highlights on and its free, sorry i dont have the link, and i uninstalled it after i got the one in the post above

Ahh here it is http://www.docu-track.com/home/prod_user/pdfx_viewer/?act[69]=scr_shot

Darwin:
This is actually quite a competitive segment with both free and shareware options available. If all you need is highlighting and annotation, I *think* the latest Adobe Reader will do this. Otherwise, I'd download and install some demos and some free apps and see what strikes your fancy. For some perverse reason, this is one segment in which developers have really gone in a host of different directions so you've definitely got the "different horses for different courses" philosophy to contend with.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version