ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Quality Comparison: 8 x freeware PDF Readers / Viewers

<< < (17/22) > >>

Darwin:
As I noted elsewhere on DC, I've switched to using PDF Converter 5 Professional as my viewer and am quite impressed with how light it is and how quick and responsive. Recently, I did download and install the latest Adobe Digital Edition and I agree with urlwolf about its speed adn low resource consumption. I haven't tried any copying within it though... Doesn't sound convenient. I WISH that e-books were universally readable in a pdf viewer and that the content was protected some other way... I object to *needing* Adobe on my system just to read a book I've purchased (given that the book in question is one I also own two paper copies of, maybe I should just blow off the $4 I spent on the digital version... as it's the sole ebook I own that is in the proprietary acsm format, which I suspect is just a fancy schmanzy wrapper for pdf?).

urlwolf:
of course, adobe couldn't help but screw this one too.
There's no way to do full screen. Of course, a reader, for people reading pdfs, should not care about maximizing reading space.

And the copy-paste brain damage is pure evil.
Here's when one misses having the sources for every app (OSS world).

I'd suggest a feature, but their forums is not functional on my browser (maybe admuncher acting up)?

The rendering quality is top-notch, though, making all other free viewers look bad.

J-Mac:
of course, adobe couldn't help but screw this one too.
There's no way to do full screen. Of course, a reader, for people reading pdfs, should not care about maximizing reading space.

And the copy-paste brain damage is pure evil.
Here's when one misses having the sources for every app (OSS world).

I'd suggest a feature, but their forums is not functional on my browser (maybe admuncher acting up)?

The rendering quality is top-notch, though, making all other free viewers look bad.
-urlwolf (April 11, 2009, 09:35 PM)
--- End quote ---

urlwolf: I doubt that it is admuncher. The Nuance forum can only be viewed in Internet Explorer. Actually it CAN be viewed - but you cannot post or add a reply unless you use IE. Adobe may very well have the same issue. I have no idea why a company would do that. Nonsensical!

Jim

urlwolf:
If that's true, signs of brain damage are even more obvious.
Even though I tried, my system has IE so locked down that I could not even visit their page. Bah.

nosh:
 :two:

I've been forced to look for an alternative to Foxit, since it crashed repeatedly while attempting to read a particular (graphics intensive) file. I tried all the alternatives suggested in Ampa's original post, a couple of them too ghastly to even deserve a mention, TBH. The last one I tried was PDF-XChange Viewer and it's outstanding in every sense. A completely flexible setup including FF and IE plugins, a beautiful (customizable) interface, it renders the file that crashed Foxit flawlessly, it's fast. What a gem of a program! Thanks Ampa, for suggesting it.  :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version