ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Quality Comparison: 8 x freeware PDF Readers / Viewers

<< < (14/22) > >>

urlwolf:
Well, a show-stopping thing for me: no assignable shortcuts, and most actions don't have one.
A pity.

urlwolf:
Xchange has assignable shortcuts, its free version lets you save changes (highlights, notes) and it's portable.

It has two problems: crazy memory usage (only 2 pdfs, and over a gig already) and extremely slow rendering; on a modern machine you can still see the lines progressively filling the screen.
It seems to correct itself and drop memory, but what a hog!

urlwolf:
One question. If PDF-Xchange can make a full pdf tool that edits pdfs in 4mb (portable), why does adobe need to ship a DVD and take half a gig on your HD to do the same thing with Acrobat?

f0dder:
One question. If PDF-Xchange can make a full pdf tool that edits pdfs in 4mb (portable), why does adobe need to ship a DVD and take half a gig on your HD to do the same thing with Acrobat?
-urlwolf (October 25, 2008, 02:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Does acrobat come with a lot of fonts and graphics, perhaps? I don't have it, so I don't know :)

Darwin:
At a guess, pdf-xchange likely does not include OCR technology to allow it to scan image based pdfs and make them editable. It's hard to tell from the webpage... Which version are you using, urlwolf,  Lite, Standard,  or PRO?

EDIT: found a link to a pdf comparing the different versions here: http://files.docu-track.com/FeatureChartEU.pdf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version