ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Feature Request V2 — Task Control

<< < (3/4) > >>

mouser:
well we also have ctrl and alt available..

jdmarch:
I'm not worried about which keys, I'll trust you to choose the one which is most consistent with overall FARR design. Just as long as it's accessible with a small number of keystrokes :)

Amadawn:
I meant the arrow _keys_ of course  :)
I think they also use Tab, which also makes a lot of sense.

Check this description that I found on the Quicksilver forum about performing a task with normal mouse/keyboard commands versus QuickSilver:

example: to email the current file i have selected in finder to a friend in my address book:

1. normal mode

copy the file (Cmd+C)
open email application (mouse to dock + click)
open new email (cmd+n)
select to field (mouse move + click)
type in name (several keystrokes -- apple mail does auto complete)
select body (mouse move + click / or tab-tab-tab)
paste copied file (Cmd+V)
send (shortcut key or mouse move + click)

2. quicksilver mode

hotkey (cmd+space)
type (F I N -- auto completes to finder)
press right arrow to get selected file
press tab
type (E M A -- auto completes to "email to ..")
press tab
type friend's name (looks up in address book)
press Enter

By the way, for those who don't know, the "Finder" is Mac OSX's version of the Windows Explorer.

For more info on QuickSilver you might want to look at http://docs.blacktree.com/quicksilver/what_is_quicksilver. However, I don't think that FRR needs to be able to do such complex things or even to imitate QuickSilver (FRR has its own purpose), but the general idea of using the arrow keys to select actions is quite good in my opinion.

Cheers,

Angel

jdmarch:
I'm convinced, Angel. Right arrow is intuitive, does not require chording (multiple keys), and will be pleasing to Quicksilver fans.

mouser:
yes it sounds like quicksilver has the kind of thing i was trying to get at -
the idea that you could do incremental search for BOTH the command AND the file to operate on..
would be interesting to hear more ideas on how this kind of workflow could be presented in the best way..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version