ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's a good memorization software?

<< < (5/7) > >>

tamasd:
Supermemo's interface is closer to Windows 3.1 than to Windows XP, and that is just 10 years too old for me.
-superboyac (April 26, 2008, 11:56 PM)
--- End quote ---
FR interface is not much fancy or modern either,but yeah it's way easier and better than SM interface. Due to cross-platform reasons FR doesn't use the native GUI capabilities of each platform, but uses cross-platform GUI solution the Fox Toolkit.

Furthermore, if FullRecall keeps adding features at it's current rate, I think it will soon overtake SuperMemo's userbase.  Hopefully, it will force Supermemo to update its interface.

--- End quote ---
Interestingly enough David the FR author was supposed to be an author of SM for Linux, or Supermemo "Light", don't remember well, nor why it didn't happen.
The thing with SM interface is that it would have to be a full program rewrite, long hard work with software of this functionality range. Also it's written in Delphi, and I believe the Delphi controls are not yet 100% Unicode compatible. Maybe Piotr Wozniak waits for the right time to make the rewrite, once the tools will be "just right".... SM was rewritten completely several times in the past, so it's not a completely hopeless wish to have it happen one more time.

Btw. there was a list of planned features for FR, can't find it now, it was probably removed.

tamasd:
Anyway, David (the author) told me that in a few weeks there will be a web version of FullRecall
-superboyac (April 25, 2008, 04:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

You had good info! It's now on http://fullrecall.com/online
I only had a chance to log-in, not to review as I had no remaining items for today. Interface is simple, in Fullrecall twist. Pretty nice.

(Not sure about SuperMemo in this respect, I think I read that SuperMemo UX (not Supermemo 2006) can be synced with their online Supermemo.net.)

tinjaw:
I'm liking the looks of Mnemosyne.

History

The pioneer of flash card software based on spaced repetition is Piotr Wozniak, who released the first version of his SuperMemo program in 1987. A few years later, this program became commercial.

In 2003, SuperMemo inspired David Calinski to write MemAid, since SuperMemo was commercial and did only run under Windows. Peter Bienstman later joined the MemAid team and contributed a SuperKaramba client and a client based on PyQt.

A few years later, David turned MemAid into a commerical product called FullRecall. Peter then used his PyQt client as the basis of a new open source program: the Mnemosyne Project was born.

--- End quote ---

kfitting:
Along the same lines as Mnemosyne, Anki http://ichi2.net/anki/  I think one is based on the other, not sure which way.  Anki has a few more ways to display content (pictures, sound files, etc).  I tried both, they both work well.

Kevin

urlwolf:
I like anki :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version