ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

What's a good memorization software?

<< < (3/7) > >>

kingding:
Umm, sorry, I'm a bit late. (I'll try to clear up the remaining questions, though. As a tribute to the board search and the delight of all its users.)

I can't decide between vtrain and supermemo.  I like Vtrain because it's fairly straightforward, but I am feature-aholic, and I can see that Supermemo has tons of features, ...
using whatever learning algorithm it has.
-superboyac
--- End quote ---
SuperMemo (and FullRecall) aim for time optimized learning performance through sophisticated repetition scheduling, considering grades you give each card for its difficulty level. VTrain just tries to re-enact the basic Leitner System in a convenient electronic environment.

Templates...
-superboyac
--- End quote ---
SuperMemo has huge set of template features.

Vtrain has a symbol map that pops up with each question for this, can Supermemo accomplish something like this also?
-superboyac
--- End quote ---
Nope, that's lacking. But there's always Quick Key. With some PowerPro or AutoHotKey fiddling, it can even be told to start-up with SuperMemo or FullRecall

So, I think that I am almost 90% sure that I will get FullRecall (thanks kingding!).
-superboyac
--- End quote ---
Great! Keep us posted on how it's working for you.
Unfortunately, I heavily rely on those HTML and template underpinnings (and therefore SuperMemo). I usually keep a copy of my learning material in Evernote, which I move back and forth via XSLT/Ruby scripts.

superboyac:
Unfortunately, I heavily rely on those HTML and template underpinnings (and therefore SuperMemo). I usually keep a copy of my learning material in Evernote, which I move back and forth via XSLT/Ruby scripts.
--- End quote ---
Those templates are nice, let me ask you a few questions on that.  My goal is to do as little editing as possible in the program.  I want to do the bulk of my editing in Excel, because for this music theory stuff, whenever I have to write a question, I have to repeat the question for all 12 keys, and I have an algorithm in excel that does this for me.  So, I just want to bring it into the program (supermemo or other) and just start learning.  However, it would be nice if, simultaneous with the import, I can apply a template to format the text.  The problem for me is I have to use two different fonts, one for text and another for music symbols.

kingding, in Supermemo, what kinds of things can you do with the templates?  I tried to play with the templates in 2004, but I couldn't figure anything out.  Would it be possible to do something like, import 200 items, and take the first line of each item and apply a font, then take the second line of the item and apply a different font?  That would be very helpful.  If I had to change each one manually, it would take forever and wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks.

najja:
I just found two open source alternatives via lifehacker and tried both out

1. Anki http://ichi2.net/anki/
  written in python, kinda slow
  active development
  designed for studying japanese
  feature rich with online syncing
2. Mnemosyne http://www.mnemosyne-proj.org/
   simple and effective interface;
   no obvious way to format (bold/italize etc) text

both use supermemo v5 algorithm. Here is a insanely interesting article about the algorithm from wired.
http://www.wired.com/medtech/health/magazine/16-05/ff_wozniak?currentPage=all

Nod5:
I haven't tried any of these programs but I have Mnemosyne and Anki on my "to try" list. And one more that hasn't been mentioned yet: Opencards , http://www.opencards.info/

tamasd:
both use supermemo v5 algorithm
-najja (April 25, 2008, 04:19 AM)
--- End quote ---
Mnemosyne uses supermemo 2 algorithm, and anki as well - at least they indicate so on the homepage.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version