ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Worst. Interface. Ever.

<< < (3/10) > >>

tinyvillager:
Oh, i have,that's what i use now with either winamp as a frontend or media player classic.The
same goes for quicktime.

jpfx:
Most skinned interfaces that cannot be switched off I can't abide. Media players that try to emulate the machine I dislike too. Microsoft's media player being an outstanding example. The compact skin is the closest to usable.
In fact I dislike eye candy of any sort. I hope the candyfied Windows Vista gui can be switched off.

Sentinel:
Can I buck the trend and say I really LOVE WinAmp's interface?  I've never been a big fan of skinning, but the default WinAmp 5 skin is attractive, intuitive, functional and a model for other applications to strive for.  In my opinion at least.

Perhaps we should also have an 'Interfaces we love' thread.  ;)

In fact, here it is: https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=830.0

As for terrible interfaces, as Zaine mentioned earlier, I also hate DivX 6 with a vengeance.  Dr DivX had a functional and understandable interface (though I would far from call it a good one), but 6.0 of any of the DivX products makes me feel like I've been lobotomised.  How do I do anything?

I also hate Microsoft Media Player (it seems media players and creators are often the worst culprits for this).  Frankly the interface it so bad it galls me to actually launch it.  Where am I going?  What am I meant to do?  Why, when I am in full screen does it take forever to get rid of the extra bits of interface clogging up my screen and why does the smallest interaction make it all pop back into view?  Grrrr.  I'm glad I switched to BSPlayer.

kfitting:
Worst interface?  ... hmmmmmmm, there are a bunch that aren't that great.  Seems like most of my bad experiences are with programs I use for work (PTC Intralink v3.4 being a prime example of having to click the mouse 40 times to move a file around a server).  Although I must say that many Open Source programs I've used for Linux have to be contenders in this area as well.  I don't know if it's just because the people that write them only pay attention to function and not usability or what, but they are downright ugly and obtuse.  Thinking here of gSchem (circuit layout), PCB (printed circuit board layout software), etc. 

Overall, as someone pointed out above, most current windows apps aren't too bad.  They don't tend to go out of their way to be obvious, but they aren't all that obtuse.  One thing that annoys me is how many different places people put the program options.  Some like it under 'view,' others like it under 'tools,' still others under 'Files - preferences" ... sheesh. 

I can't say I'm a big fan of Photoshop/Gimp interafaces... could be because I've only used them a couple times!  They just seem to clutter up the screen. 

Good discussion.  This is one area I cannot believe M$, Apple, and Linux Developers haven't addressed yet.  Seems interface improvement would be a huge advancement for the personal computer.

Kevin

mouser:
btw for people who like this kind of discussion, there are some really fun user interface books:
http://www.usernomics.com/human-factors-books-user-interface-design1.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version