topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 6:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Which Software MP3 Encoder already supports DualCore Cpus?  (Read 10517 times)

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Which Software MP3 Encoder already support DualCore Cpus?
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

Mark0

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mark's home
    • Donate to Member
Re: Which Software MP3 Encoder already supports DualCore Cpus?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 07:20 PM »
MP3 encoding, by itself, is not much suited for parallelization.
IMHO, you best bet is using a proven encoder like LAME, and start 2 process working on different files.

If you use a tool like ExactAudioCopy to rip & encode, it have already the ability to start more than one instance of the encoder.

Bye!

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 03:17 AM »
I agree with Mark0, your best bet is to compress multiple tracks simultaneously. dBpoweramp does this automatically - and has pretty darn nifty ripping in the Reference version - imho clearly superior to EAC.
- carpe noctem

masu

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 12:45 PM »
is dbpoweramp Freeware?
Find+Run Robot 2.90.01
Windows 7

tinyvillager

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 03:27 PM »
You can find the last freeware version of  dBpoweramp Music Converter here
http://www.321downlo...ge11.html#dBpowerAmp

From there on i believe you can find the plugins at products current
homepage http://www.dbpoweramp.com/  ,look for the legacy codecs,the
program just went through a major upgrade and i'm pretty sure the new codecs,plugins,etc.
won't work.

321download.com is on the up and up,legit.

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
That being said, dBpoweramp Music Converter is a very good program,and one of the cheaper
programs i've seen.
http://www.dbpoweram...c-power-register.htm

For other audio related stuff look here
http://rarewares.org/

Don't let the name fool you,it's a legit site,no virus',cracks,etc.
It's the hot spot for the latest and greatest audio binaries.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2007, 06:40 AM »
Hm, I thought that standard version of dbPoweramp was free? (Although the mp3 encoder might not be free - heh). The Reference version is what you'll want, though - combining C2 error pointer, FUA support, and AccurateRip means you can rip at darn high speeds and still be confident about the results.
- carpe noctem

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 07:37 AM »
I've been thinking about going with dbPoweramp for a while... it's not free? Screw that then, EAC for ripping (with AccurateRip), and The GodFather for converting, tagging, renaming, and sorting.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 08:51 AM »
Well, compare speeds of dbPoweramp and EAC... not to mention accuracy, if your drive has the necessary features. It's worth the cash, imho. Too bad it doesn't support ripping to .cue/.wav, otherwise I'd have already registered.
- carpe noctem

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 02:02 PM »
It's faster eh?

As for accuracy, if AccurateRip says it's the same after using EAC, that's good enough for me.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2007, 05:21 PM »
It's faster eh?

As for accuracy, if AccurateRip says it's the same after using EAC, that's good enough for me.

Yeah, it's plenty faster... I use EAC in secure (though not paranoid) mode, which means I usually go around 4x rip speed, for a few CD's it's better, and for anything copy protected, it's less than 0.1x. Also, the way EAC does it's read-reread-reread-reread (etc.) means a lot of laser movement, which I suspect wears out your drive faster.

dbPoweramp (well, reference version) is much smarter - it does a full pass at decent speed (like 20x), noting c2 error pointers. If no c2 errors are found, you're done ripping that track - if errors are found, you can re-rip only the frames that contain errors, instead of ripping each sector multiple times (for better rip accuracy, I set it to lower speed and do multiple passes if c2 errors are found).

So... dbPoweramp is overall *a lot* faster for me than EAC, and in the case of copy protected CDs, it's does better (and faster) than EAC. And with those CDs, unfortunately accuraterip isn't all that helpful, since you're entirely at the mercy of your drive's error correction capabilities... different drives, or even different models from the same vendor, will likely generate different AR id's... so what you want is reproducible results for your drive, and not having to spend five hours ripping a CD :)
- carpe noctem

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2007, 06:14 PM »
But if your CDs are immaculate, all this EAC-poweramp paranoia is just not needed, right? I just ripped 6CDs to flac using MediaMonkey (I'm pretty it's not as thorough) and the results are pefect.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 06:45 PM »
Well, even with perfectly clean and non-scratched CD's without copy protection, and even with a decent drive, if you rip in "burst mode" you risk an imperfect copy. That's where AccurateRip helps, though, if others have ripped the disc - you can then verify whether the rip was good or bad.

(With dbPoweramp and a drive supporting C2 error reporting (most do, I think?), you already have a good indication whether ripping was successful or not).

And it might be paranoia, but when you rip to a lossless format, you're already nit-picky about quality. I don't want even an inaudible incorrectness :)
- carpe noctem

urlwolf

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2007, 06:05 AM »
Well, just in case people were wondering, mp3 ripping really seems like the objectively worst choice for your music.

So paying money for encoder software that goes into the pockets of Thomson (mp3's legal owner) is a bad idea.

I used ogg -q6, and now flac. Ogg is an excellent format, although right now at HA there are talks that seem to imply that development has stagnated:
http://www.hydrogena...opic=53148&st=25

F0dder, where do you get that reference version of dbpoweramp? Do you have to pay even if you don't want to use mp3 at all?

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2007, 07:39 AM »
Visit dbpoweramp.com , click the 'music converter', click 'reference'. It's the "big version" of their music converter, check the feature comparison. Ultra Secure and C2 Pointers is what makes it so sekxzy.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like you can register reference without getting the mp3 pack, but oh well :)
- carpe noctem

Darwin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 02:06 AM »
Today's GiveAwayofTheDay, AVS Audio Converter, apparently does this...

EDIT: except that it's not a CD ripper...  :-[ Presumably, their Audio CD Grabber, which was released the same day as the converter also supports Dual Core CPU's...

PS Haven't tried any of AVS' apps myself, so can't comment on their design or functionality.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 12:43 PM by Darwin »

Nudel

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • << Pretentious Name >>
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2007, 06:54 AM »
These days I rip using EAC in burst mode, and the "Test and Copy" feature. It reads every track twice and flags any that didn't rip identically both times. I figure if they match then it's really unlikely that there were any errors and it's so much faster than the secure mode.

I'll drop back to secure mode for tracks which don't rip, so it can end up taking longer for scratched or protected CDs but it saves enough time for the majority of discs that it's worth it.

Dual CPU encoding doesn't seem very important when ripping CDs, though. Each track is almost always done encoding long before the next track has been read off the CD. It does make a big difference when batch transcoding stuff that's already ripped, though.