topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:28 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Memory Usage  (Read 5331 times)

Grorgy

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Memory Usage
« on: May 04, 2007, 04:37 AM »
This may be covered elsewhere but i couldnt see it so here i go

I have started playing around with this now and I have it set to start minimized.  Everything is fine and it works really well but until you maximise and then minimise it, i've discovered that the memory usage stays quite high, compared to what it is when normally lying at rest in that thing we dare not call a tray.

Just to let you know if you didnt and no one else has mentioned it.

Ohh i saw screenshot captor over at VNUNet.com , they gave it 5 stars and said what a great program it was  :Thmbsup:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Memory Usage
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 07:55 AM »
Thanks for pointing this out -- I will add a feature i add to most of my programs that let's you choose whether you want them to release their working memory when minimized.  :up:

superticker

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Superticker's SU reviews about technology
    • Donate to Member
Re: Memory Usage
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2007, 12:20 PM »
I will add a feature i add to most of my programs that let's you choose whether you want them to release their working memory when minimized.

I think it's standard practice to have Windows apps release their memory (like for their GUI) in the free-memory pool when they're minimized and the zero-page pool if they never need that memory again.  Understand, the first pool is for temporarily releasing memory that otherwise needs to be reclaimed when restoring the app to the desktop.  The idea is that if no other programs need that space, then those pages remain available to the app that originally released them when it gets restored; (otherwise, those free pages can made available to external apps instead of calling the swapper).

The zero page pool is for permanently releasing memory (never to be reclaimed in the future).  The OS immediately writes zeros in these pages (to prevent browsing) so they can be immediately allocated to unrelated processes.