ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Latest Apple Mac vs PC Commercial: PCs suck because of all the software choices

<< < (8/10) > >>

Hirudin:
(I almost made this into a new topic, but decided to keep it here.)

I think MS has done the PC computer world a great service by keeping all Vista discs the same! Well sorta at least there's still separate 32 and 64 bit discs.

I think Microsoft has applied it directly to the forehead* with this decision!

What this has done is flooded the market with perfectly clean, bloat-free discs! Anyone who buys more than one 32 bit or 64 bit copy of Vista has just bought themselves an additional license key with a free spare disc. I've had been using Win2K since about when ME came out, but I've yet to own a legitimate Win2K disc, I did see one once though.

During my time at Geek Squad, we NEVER had a legit WinXP CD, not one! A room full of computer nerds; NO Microsoft branded XP CDs. Not even an image of an MS branded CD of which we knew the source. We had an 8-in-1 that someone downloaded which we would use to re-install XP when the need arose. If Geek Squad can't come up with a real MS CD with which to perform clean installs, what is Joe Public to do?

NOW, when someone buys a computer from Dell, HP, what have you, they should more easily be able to come up with a Vista disc they can use to wipe the crap off the computer and start clean.

I actually have very grandiose opinions of what could arise simply from more people having clean installs of Windows, but I'll keep them to myself for now. At the very least it'll make people's computers work better, less bloat, less antiquated software, less crap. People will be happier with their (still cheap because of competition) Vista based computer. Happy people will help drive the market for better software (see, I'm sorta staying on topic).

*My suggestion as a replacement for the expression: "Hit the nail right on the head."

Laughing Man:
The latest mac vs. pc commercial touches on something that i really think distinguishes the mac culture from windows/pc culture, and may touch a nerve with some of us real software lovers.

[ Invalid Attachment ]

Here's the video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EbCyibkNB0

Basically the pc is "bloated from all the trial software he has installed", while the mac "comes with all the software you need".

Am i the only one who gets a real and satisfying enjoyment out of trying new software?  for some of us, it's this vast world of independent small software development and all the experimentation we can do trying new software that makes the pc/windows platform so fun.
-mouser (April 19, 2007, 01:04 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't appreciate or enjoy half the software that comes pre-installed on a laptop when you buy it (oh and desktops though I build mine now). Most of them are just ones you eventually have to pay for and often have freeware or donationware that works even better then the pre-installed ones. So I spend the first 30 minutes uninstalling the junk. However, I do love finding and trying new software out that I find on the web and read about.

zridling:
Anyone else noticed that Apple's ads don't mention the 111 security flaws they've patched in less than five months this year? Maybe the PC character should yell: "What about it, biatch?!"

Darwin:
I don't appreciate or enjoy half the software that comes pre-installed on a laptop when you buy it (oh and desktops though I build mine now). Most of them are just ones you eventually have to pay for and often have freeware or donationware that works even better then the pre-installed ones. So I spend the first 30 minutes uninstalling the junk. However, I do love finding and trying new software out that I find on the web and read about.
--- End quote ---

PCDecrapifier is your friend!

Mandork:
In fact I am embarrassed to say that of all the time I spend on computers probably only 2/3 is spent actually producing something and the rest on fiddling with software
--- End quote ---

I don't even consider myself a geek, and I have exactly the same problem.  DC doesn't help, of course!

I'm glad I haven't seen any of these commercials (who has time to watch TV?  I'm messing around with software!) because I think they would get irritating very quickly.  The only one I did see made me mad because of the stereotypes it used.

I've been a DOS/Windows user for as long as I've had a computer.  I didn't really like the old "grey box" Macs with the happy face in high school, nor did I get on with the more sophisticated ones in college, although I don't really know why.  It's all what you're used to, I guess.  That being said, all of the demos of Vista that I've seen really turn me off and I'm thinking about jumping ship to something else.  I was recently giving some guy's MacBook a jealous stare on a train, because it seemed so light and compact.  But I really enjoy fiddling, so I can't see myself buying something that is harder to fiddle with.  I also played around with the new Fedora core earlier today...they are all starting to seem more or less the same to me!

What to do?   :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version