ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How to schedule hibernation On/Off so can run overnite once a week

<< < (2/3) > >>

db90h:
I'm not sure but I don't think hibernation is a sleep state in that sense as you can remove power once it hibernated. Effectively the scheduler would need to be able to run when the system is powered down.
-Carol Haynes (April 19, 2007, 04:23 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yea, I think you are right about not being able to wake up from hibernate, it does seem unlikely.

By 'sleep state' I was referring to sleep states S0-S5, of which hibernate is S4. So, its semantics there. Maybe the OP here doesn't really need to go to full hibernate -- especially if its a PC plugged into the wall. The power consumption is negligible with a lesser sleep state. Otherwise, I guess wake on lan is the best option, as a previous poster mentioned.

222fbj:
Hi and thanks for the help.   Based on some of the suggestions I found a BIOS upgrade to my dell allows me to turn it on (from shutdown state) at a predetermined time.  So that will be my solution for now.

I also have another PC that I'd like to power on for the same maintenance purposes..but have not found a bios upgrade for this pc that allows it to come alive.  So, am thinking to  use a 'Wake on Lan' signal sent to it.  I found some tools for sending a WOL packet  - from a linux box - but not from an XPHome box.  If anyone knows how to send a WOL packet from XPhome pls tell me.

thanks again to the helpful folks here at DonationCoder.

Carol Haynes:
Don't know whether it will work or not but why not get the Linux box to load a file from a shared folder on the XPHome box - I presume if the Linux box tries to access a network item on the XP box it should automatically wake up to service the request.

I may be a bit naive on that though!

222fbj:
I don't have a linux box....just two XPhome PCs, and a Linksys router.

Carol Haynes:
Sorry I misread your message (the perils of speed reading).

Unless it is a very old computer it should have WOL as standard in the BIOS? Or does it not work with your network interface?

Are you using an internal PCI card? Sometimes they need a short lead to connect it to pins on the  motherboard  to enable WOL (the one I have from Belkin has a two core cable with a connector which only needs to be installed if you plan to use WOL). Might be worth checking the motherboard manual (downloadable from the mobo manufacturer's website) and your Network card manual to see if it can be done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version