ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

RANT: High Software Prices!

<< < (22/22)

Grorgy:
Sad but true, i used star office, which is provided free to students at the university i go to, for a semester but i then went back to M$ office just because of a few little things in the formatting and so on that had taken me an age to figure out in word and i couldnt get to work in star, though i'm pretty sure the functionality was there i just couldnt work it  :-[ and also the documents produced by the teaching types there are all in some form of office document, word or powerpoint.  years of using word at work had paid off for microsoft, and then sending resumes and so on out, everyone uses word.  beaten by the numbers

Josh:
So, in an attempt to revive this thread. What does everyone think of the new subscription based windows services that are coming with Windows 7? You pay for the base OS and then addon what you want as far as additional small features.

Darwin:
So, in an attempt to revive this thread. What does everyone think of the new subscription based windows services that are coming with Windows 7? You pay for the base OS and then addon what you want as far as additional small features.
-Josh (April 01, 2008, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

My thoughts on this are NSFW or children! I am not a big fan of Apple, but their pricing scheme for OS X is the "way forward" in my opinion. Of course, I may be proven wrong, but I figure that all the proposed scheme for Win 7 is going to do is make getting the full featured version more expensive. I'd rather, and would gladly, pay $100 - $150 as a flat fee for the complete, full featured operating system than pay, say, $75 for a gutted version and then per feature on top of that. Unless they keep the cost of the add-on features low, it's going to be prohibitively expensive to get all of them... I'm buying an operating system, not ordering a handbuilt car.

Carol Haynes:
They have had enough trouble getting Vista to work properly with its miriad editions - what chance do they have where most of the OS is available as plugins.

Personally I would guess that an awful lot of people will continue to stick with XP !!

I am just in the process of removing Vista from my laptop - can't stand it any longer and the company that make it are sending me a copy of XP Pro gratis (despite not having a downgradable version of Vista) so it shows what they think!

Lashiec:
Personally, I don't have a great issue with it, as long as they charge a sensible price for the OS, and a small fee to activate some major features, like as I mentioned the other day, Media Center, or controlling Windows with the voice (as long as it's clearly something people with accessibility problems is not using).

Perhaps something like BitLocker as well, or Internet Explorer maybe. Nobody will miss that one :D. Essentially, big features of the OS used by a certain niche of the market, and for which free alternatives exist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version