ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Don't call it "the tray"!

(1/10) > >>

lanux128:
this guy is quite adamant that we call Windows components the proper way or else... ;)

One of the most common errors is to refer to the Taskbar Notification Area as the "tray" or the "system tray". This has never been correct. If you find any documentation that refers to it as the "tray" then you found a bug.
--- End quote ---

http://blogs.msdn.com/oldnewthing/archive/2003/09/10/54831.aspx

Cpilot:
Some folks get quite anal about some stuff.
Now who don't know what your refering to when you say "system tray"?

As if there ain't enough speech police around. :-\

Darwin:
Some folks get quite anal about some stuff.
Now who don't know what your refering to when you say "system tray"?

As if there ain't enough speech police around. :-\-Cpilot (April 16, 2007, 08:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

Rather reminds me of the hand wringing and tut-tutting that goes on about applying the term "donationware" to mouser's software...

So, I'll yell it from the rooftops - mountaintops if I have to - I LOVE RUNNING DONATIONCODER DONATIONWARE IN MY SYSTEM TRAY  :-*

Deozaan:
I thought the taskbar was where your apps go (icon and title), and the tray was the thing with the clock and the tiny icons.

lanux128:
I thought the taskbar was where your apps go (icon and title), and the tray was the thing with the clock and the tiny icons.
-Deozaan (April 16, 2007, 10:17 PM)
--- End quote ---
exactly, that is how i understand it.. however, this guy introduces a new complication by claiming that users call the taskbar as the tray then proceeding to forbid them from doing so.. oh, talk about information overload.. :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version