topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday April 19, 2024, 11:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Prefix/Suffix Filename/Foldername with Clipboard content  (Read 4369 times)

magician62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I have been using a neat utility CopyFilenames for some time, and find it very useful. It allows for easy filename replacement with the clipboard content without having to put the filename/foldername field into edit mode, (which can sometimes be detected as a double click if your too quick)

This idea is along similar lines

Highlight Filename
Right Click
"Paste Prefix Filename" (This would prefix the existing filename with the contents of the clipboard)
FILENAME -> CLIPBOARDFILENAME
"Paste Suffix Filename" (This would suffix the existing filename with the contents of the clipboard)
FILENAME -> FILENAMECLIPBOARD

secondary options that may be of less use to others
"Paste Prefix - Filename" (This would prefix the existing filename with the contents of the clipboard seperated by " -")
FILENAME -> CLIPBOARD - FILENAME
"Paste Suffix - Filename" (This would suffix the existing filename with the contents of the clipboard seperated by " -")
FILENAME -> FILENAME - CLIPBOARD

Another set of options that might be of use
"Paste Prefix Date - Filename" (This would prefix the existing filename with the current date seperated by " -")
FILENAME -> YYYYMMDD - FILENAME
"Paste Suffix Date - Filename" (This would suffix the existing filename with the current date seperated by " -")
FILENAME -> FILENAME - YYYYMMDD

All these might best live in a sub menu of "Paste Append" to avoid putting too much in the main right click menu

I can also see the possibility of a configuration file being needed to allow for changing the seperator and the Date Format  for those needing a slight variation

Why an I Magician62? Because Magician1 thru 61 were gone. :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:16 PM by magician62 »

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Prefix/Suffix Filename with Clipboard content
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:08 PM »
You might like to have a look at Oscar's File Renamer, which acts a bit like an editor.  I think I originally found it by reading MarkTAW's My Favorite Smallware.

magician62

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Prefix/Suffix Filename with Clipboard content
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 04:18 PM »
I have a few renamers already, that perform similar to the one you mention For complex bulk changes I use Bulk Rename Utility

The scenario I am working with is one my one basis, rather than bulk.
Mainly where folders are concerned, the paste buffer would likely be some content from inside the folder
Why an I Magician62? Because Magician1 thru 61 were gone. :)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Prefix/Suffix Filename/Foldername with Clipboard content
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 04:17 PM »
Oscar's does work on a one-by-one basis.  That's what makes it different from the great majority of file renamers, which work on groups of files.  For that, I agree BRU is excellent.

Honesty compels me to admit that I often tended to use a Total Commander plug-in to generate file lists, work on them with a text editor (often TED Notepad), save the result as a batch file, and run the batch file when done.

I used Oscar's or the batch file method when I had to rename bunches of automatically-generated PDFs with sensible names from the text they contained.  You can't rename a  file while it's open, so I put the required text into Oscar's or into the batch file, and committed the changes later in one go.