ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

opera 9.2 is out

<< < (6/11) > >>

dantheman:
I like opera, it is by far the fastest browser, but I simply cannot use it until I can have roboform back incorporated into my configuration. I understand opera's need for "security", but at least give the user a choice. Locking us down to what the dev's feel is pertinent to a browser is like ford telling you that you have to settle for a stock engine or stock radio when much better alternatives exist.
-Josh (April 14, 2007, 08:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was with you for the longest time on this topic, but now that I have used Opera exclusively for a couple years I find that Wand meets my needs.  The only thing I really miss is the ability to edit (or even see!) my passwords in the Wand.  Otherwise, it has completely replaced Roboform for me.

I love Opera!
-Nomadin (April 16, 2007, 06:57 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been a die hard fan of Firefox over the years but did purchase Opera at the time to encourage the browser. So, i have spinned Opera (and others) around over the years but still go back to Firefox.

Perhaps with these shortcut tips you will convince me yet!  Ha!

Wand feature is nice but you can't p.w. protect it.
Perhaps Opera will want to pick up on AVANT and Maxthon Beta version who now offer online i.d. and p.w. protection for your data. I was kind of hoping to see this rather than this Speed dial bit that really doesn't do anything noticeable for me on my DSL connection.

justice:
Security

In the Security preferences you can manage your security certificates and set up which security protocols to use. Opera can also warn you about potentially unsafe situations.
Master Password

To prevent other people from using your certificates, you can set a master password with strong 168-bit triple DES encryption.

You will then be asked to enter your master password when you want to use your certificates.
Select a password that is impossible to guess and keep it secret
Set Opera to ask for the master password every time needed if other people have access to your computer or user account

You can also use the master password to protect your e-mail, news, and Wand passwords.
--- End quote ---
http://help.opera.com/Windows/9.02/en/security.html

dantheman:
Security

In the Security preferences you can manage your security certificates and set up which security protocols to use. Opera can also warn you about potentially unsafe situations.
Master Password

To prevent other people from using your certificates, you can set a master password with strong 168-bit triple DES encryption.

You will then be asked to enter your master password when you want to use your certificates.
Select a password that is impossible to guess and keep it secret
Set Opera to ask for the master password every time needed if other people have access to your computer or user account

You can also use the master password to protect your e-mail, news, and Wand passwords.
--- End quote ---
http://help.opera.com/Windows/9.02/en/security.html
-justice (April 16, 2007, 07:55 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well there you go!
No more need for Roboform then right?

urlwolf:
The problem with the Wand is that if something nasty happens (you forgot your password or you accidentally delete the passwords file), then it's over as it doesn't have a simple 'export' function to CSV or even TXT
-Lashiec (April 16, 2007, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good to know. I'll make sure I keep a backup for that file, updated daily.

Nomadin:
The problem with the Wand is that if something nasty happens (you forgot your password or you accidentally delete the passwords file), then it's over as it doesn't have a simple 'export' function to CSV or even TXT
-Lashiec (April 16, 2007, 07:05 AM)
--- End quote ---

Good to know. I'll make sure I keep a backup for that file, updated daily.
-urlwolf (April 16, 2007, 08:52 AM)
--- End quote ---

One of my favorite features is that Opera is completely portable.  No (or little) reliance upon the registry.  I backup my work Opera directory and restore it at home (and vice versa) to maintain my Wand, bookmarks, history, etc.  Then I also have generational versions of the directory saved if needed.  (I use Winrar to add the date to the archive name, that is handy for multiple versions of backed up directories)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version