topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 5:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Panic's Coda  (Read 5057 times)

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Panic's Coda
« on: May 01, 2007, 05:31 AM »
In conjunction with the celebration of their 10th anniversary — and cannily timed to be eligible for an Apple Design Award — Panic has released their new “one-window web development” app, “Coda.”

I’ve only been playing with it for an hour or two, so I don’t have anything revelatory to add to everyone else’s reactions. But, so far, I’m very impressed with the ease of use and lovely design. That said, hiding under the pretty is a lot of great stuff that should make prosumer web designers’ lives easier, including built-in SSH shell, a straightforward CSS editor, and a very configurable multi-paned window approach. I also love the low-key code validation, Hamburger Helper “Clips,” and what looks like a pretty nifty “Bonjour” sharing functionality.

The care that the Panic folks put into all of their apps and the humor and humanity that they express as a company makes me proud to use a Mac. They’re doing God’s work, and, whenever the opportunity arises, I’m all too happy to give them my money.

Permalink: http://feeds.feedbur...olders/~3/111373554/
Link to the app being talked about: http://www.panic.com/coda/

Mac only, unfortunately, but the website alone is just beautiful ;)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 05:45 AM by moerl »

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: wef
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 05:41 AM »
Oh em gee.. I just looked at the entire site and the screenshots and read all the descriptions. All I can say is: SOOOOOOOOOOOOO DIGGING IT. Where's the equivalent for Vista? It's hardly Microsoft Expression Web, even if that does look like a sweet app in its own right. I shall try the latter soon :)

2stepsback

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • My "2stepsback" blog - Updated!
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Panic's Coda
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 11:41 AM »
Where's the equivalent for Vista? It's hardly Microsoft Expression Web, even if that does look like a sweet app in its own right. I shall try the latter soon :)
M$ is always the patient, shrewd, observing, analytical, ....er..... rat! They wait and watch the whole world invent, sit back and make a nice spreadsheet with "Good - to copy" and "Bad - to throw" and about six months down the line, they code the most appealing combination of all the diverse independent attempts and calll it a cool, hip name - say this thing would be Codeo (a la Rhodeo) or Web++ or something like that  and shove it down everyone's throat by bundling a trivially crackable 120-day trial version so that it spreads more virally than the GPL is supposed to be. That is then the end of these pioneers. Either they offer to get bought by M$ or die in neglect. So, it's good this is on Apple. I'm more and more contemplating moving my whole computer existence into the Mac dimension - at least you don't have to fight the monopolistic pirate.
An apple a day keeps the doctor away. A good deed a day keeps the Devil away.
See http://www.codinghor...archives/000735.html
------------
<a href="http://www.w3schools.com/">W3Schools</a> - A collection of free HTML, CSS, JavaScript, DHTML, XML, XHTML, WAP, ASP, SQL tutorials with lots of working examples and source code.

moerl

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Panic's Coda
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:19 PM »
You have a point. Definitely. But in the end the users are the judges. If that product MS comes up with is actually a quality product, then why not let it out and compete? If it sucks, you know people are going to stick with the developer's product that introduced the innovations in the first place :)

That's an overly negative view too. I'm liking Microsoft more recently. My opinion of them has shot up ever since I bought an Xbox360, which is one fantastic piece of gaming equipment. I'm happy with Vista too so far. Happier than I've ever been with XP. They're doing good work recently, simply put, and I don't see what's wrong with that :)