ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows "safely remove device" thingie

<< < (6/8) > >>

Armando:
[...]count to ten, then unplug.
-mrainey (April 15, 2007, 09:58 AM)
--- End quote ---

Aaaaahhhh! So that's the trick!  :)

Armando:
Reviving this old thread because I found EjectUSB.

It's free (donations welcome...).

And there's a review on Appaholic.

So... For those who need some help with their USB stuff.

Stoic Joker:
Also, if you get the "device busy, cannot unmount" error, try using the handle tool from sysinternals - it will often show you which program is the sinner. Doesn't always work though, which puzzles me; I'd really like to know what has the device locked in those situations.

-f0dder (April 13, 2007, 04:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've had a Command Prompt do that to me a few times, if it's open on that drive letter with nothing running for awhile.

cchian:
I don't know how safe this is but it works for me most of the time: In cases when attempts to safely eject the device does not work, I open Task Manager and terminate explorer.exe. I would then select the Applications tab and click on New Task, type in "explorer" (or explorer.exe) and hit OK.

Some people may not be aware that you can eject the device either by right-clicking or left-clicking on the icon, left-clicking being faster.

A tool I have not used recently, but which I think would also help is the free utility Unlocker which can be found here: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/

Stoic Joker:
A tool I have not used recently, but which I think would also help is the free utility Unlocker which can be found here: http://ccollomb.free.fr/unlocker/
-cchian (July 25, 2008, 01:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Unlocker, truly one of my favorites and it works on x64. 

Actually left clicking (having three less steps) is a hell of a lot faster.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version