ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

KMPlayer and GOMPlayer

(1/7) > >>

Darwin:
I'm revisiting two excellent Korean media players that are surprising me with their polish and their small footprints. The KMPlayer doesn't even require installation, so you can throw it on a thumbdrive and take it and your media collection with you (you'll need to move the your preferred language .ini file out of the lang folder into the main program directory because the default is Korean). haven't played around with either of them that much, but what I am seeing so far is impressive. My mp3s sound great in both with no augmentation (add-ins or equalization) and they both handle a wide range of video as well. GOMPlayer is more polished but requires installation. It uses significantly fewer resources than the KMPlayer, though...

Ah well, who cares, right? I'm having fun playing around with both of them! I'm still using XMPlay as my default music player, for now.

zridling:
Good tastes, Darwin. You've pinpointed the strengths of each. I fall toward Gom Player because of its setup ease and because it only downloads codecs as you need them. Oh, and I forgot, its high customizability factor (which KMPlayer also shares).

Hirudin:
Thanks for the links! I've been growing tired of The Core Media Player, there are bugs, but they never update... Annoying!

I used to demand a video player with a seperate video window, but I think with dual monitors I can forgo that requirement now...

Anyway, I think I'm going to give KMPlayer the shot first. I played with both programs, they both seem fine, but KMP has tons more options (not that I know what half of them do). As a person stuck in the Windows98 mentality (format every month or so to keep things working) I LOVE programs that I can install once and never have to install again (set the options once and for all). Also, on my system, KMP had better performance, well, until I turned on a bunch of video filters.

Darwin:
Yes - they've both matured nicely. I had them both installed 5 years or so ago and they were good then but far less polished and not, if memory serves, as stable. I'm just glad that they're both available in multiple languages now - back then I only had access to the Korean language versions and used keyboard shortcuts for everything (F2 for open, etc.). Of course, I find myself using the shortcuts now, too, but it's nice to know that the more advanced options are available to me without having to use the hit and miss method! I'm still on the fence on which one I prefer... time will tell!

Black Mamba:
I've tried them both and they really are very nice freeware players.

The lack one big thing tough: proper support for HD files (720P and 1080P). Gom uses it's internal filters for HD and KM is based on Gabest Matroska splitter (pretty old).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version