ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 9

<< < (20/50) > >>

Darwin:
My name is Mike and I am a File Manager Addict... I have licences for DOPus (9 now... the heart is willing but the flesh is weak), XYplorer and DiskJockey FileViewer Deluxe. I ALSO have licences for AccelMan and Frigate 3 courtesy of giveawayoftheday. Of all of them, I only have DOpus and XYplorer installed at the moment as the others are not in the same class, IMNSHO. There is a lot to like in both of them... Unfortunately, I am really familiar with DOpus but have yet to seriously explore XYplorer (no pun intended!).

mrainey:
I bought Disk Jockey two or three years ago based on a rabidly positive mention by John Dvorak - it was so buggy the developer agreed to refund my money.  My feelings about the program were later confirmed in a PC Mag review.

Darwin:
I bought Disk Jockey two or three years ago based on a rabidly positive mention by John Dvorak - it was so buggy the developer agreed to refund my money.  My feelings about the program were later confirmed in a PC Mag review.-mrainey (April 27, 2007, 10:24 AM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, heh... hence my no longer having it installed. I didn't find it buggy, but it's ROUGH and largely counter-intuitive. Support isn't great, either. Check out the discussion forum, which is hosted by the developer, and where the developer will go for up to six months without responding to queries. Having said that, when I've e-mailed support it was prompt enough. Still, I wish I'd had the wit to ask for a refund! I at one time thought I'd run it on my wife's machine and DOpus on my own. I wound up springing for a second Dopus licence - DOpus is that much better than DJDE.

On other fronts: it may just be me, but DOpus 9 seems much quicker than 8. Also, and I'm very pleased about this, they've cured an issue that plagued DOpus 8 with more recent releases of the Stellent Viewers. Overall, very pleased with the update. I'm still not sure about the new icon set, but it's incredibly easy to switch to DOpus 8's icons if you're really not happy with them. The new ones are growing on me.

Edit: added link to DJDE discussion forum.

Darwin:
P.S. That Dvorak review was what hooked me, too!

Nomadin:
On other fronts: it may just be me, but DOpus 9 seems much quicker than 8. Also, and I'm very pleased about this, they've cured an issue that plagued DOpus 8 with more recent releases of the Stellent Viewers. Overall, very pleased with the update. I'm still not sure about the new icon set, but it's incredibly easy to switch to DOpus 8's icons if you're really not happy with them. The new ones are growing on me.-Darwin (April 27, 2007, 12:30 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that it is just you.  I must say that I am pleased with the performance of the new version.  I also like the improvements/streamlining of the configuration dialog.  There are still a monumental number of settings, but it seems easier to navigate.  The export/backup function for settings seems much cleaner too.

Now, if I can just figure out a way to maintain my backup system, I wll be set.  I need to find a way to select a directory and have DO zip or RAR the directory, defaulting to the name of the directory and appending the date.  So, if I am in c:\temp and I want to back up the temp directory, I would like to select it, press a hotkey (or use a context menu) and create an archive named "temp 20070427.zip".  Near as I can tell, it is quite possible, but I am not sure how to do it yet.

So far I am having fun poking around with the new version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version