ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Directory Opus 9

<< < (49/50) > >>

tomos:
I like DOpus a lot but I'm still pretty disillusioned by their approach to upgrades in the past:
they gave a fair upgrade price for a limited timed after the new version is released. After that time the upgrade price was increased to around 90% of the full price. I dont think this is a very nice way to treat your customers....
I think an upgrade price should be just that - a fixed price to upgrade from one version to the next. It's fair enough to give a lesser reduction (or none) from an older version again.

Nudel:
I like DOpus a lot but I'm still pretty disillusioned by their approach to upgrades in the past:
they gave a fair upgrade price for a limited timed after the new version is released. After that time the upgrade price was increased to around 90% of the full price.-tomos (August 19, 2010, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
FWIW, the time limit (before the upgrade discount was reduced) was 2.5 years after the previous purchase, which doesn't seem too bad to me.

I dont think this is a very nice way to treat your customers....
--- End quote ---
If you haven't bought something from someone for 2.5 years, are you really still a customer of theirs? :)

Tuxman:
Well, yep. I, for example, am a lifetime customer of some without having paid for a very, very long period.  :D

tomos:
they gave a fair upgrade price for a limited timed after the new version is released. After that time the upgrade price was increased to around 90% of the full price.-tomos (August 19, 2010, 06:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
FWIW, the time limit (before the upgrade discount was reduced) was 2.5 years after the previous purchase, which doesn't seem too bad to me.

I dont think this is a very nice way to treat your customers....
--- End quote ---
If you haven't bought something from someone for 2.5 years, are you really still a customer of theirs? :)
-Nudel (August 19, 2010, 08:45 PM)
--- End quote ---

I take your points but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth (and yes I stand by my definition of an upgrade: "I think an upgrade price should be just that - a fixed price to upgrade from one version to the next."

Carol Haynes:
I stand by my definition of an upgrade: "I think an upgrade price should be just that - a fixed price to upgrade from one version to the next."
-tomos (August 20, 2010, 03:08 AM)
--- End quote ---

Fair point but if I were you I'd start saying goodbye to upgrade pricing - where Microsoft go other developers generally follow (look at product activation as a really bad example) and MS is dropping upgrade pricing on flagship products such as Office. What's the betting that Windows 8 won't have upgrade pricing.

A lot of smaller companies feel they have to offer upgrade prices because the big companies do - once they don't feel that pressure I'd guess upgrades either won't exist or will be much less generous.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version