ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

SelfImage: The open-source hard disk imaging utility

<< < (2/2)

Deozaan:
Thanks, 40hz! I'll take a look at Clonezilla. I've considered Acronis, but hoping to find something that's free...
-TucknDar (September 20, 2008, 04:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't know if this offer is still good or not, but last week I got Acronis TrueImage and DiskDirector for $10. That's pretty close to free. :)

The thread with the deal on TrueImage is here.

PhilB66:
Daily Cup of Tech put together a list of Free or Open Source Imaging Solutions...

tomos:
Thanks, 40hz! I'll take a look at Clonezilla. I've considered Acronis, but hoping to find something that's free...
-TucknDar (September 20, 2008, 04:34 PM)
--- End quote ---

# well, there's DriveImageXML, I used it for a short while - did a restore to a second partition (maybe not a true test but it worked)
# here's another but I dont know anything about it - Irestorer - far as I remember it's based on DriveSnapshot (which I think is well thought of here) but cant find a homepage for it (Irestorer) so not sure
# I cant remember third - maybe it's just my dream one :p

I think problem with free is doesnt normally do incremental/differential imaging

40hz!
true image interface is one of my pet bugs ;D as in bugs the $ยง%& out of me (for manual imaging at any rate: in spite of being able to save a "default" "backup" I have to click SEVENTEEN times if I want to add a comment & I'm still not sure do I need to change the selection to the last increment saved in order to make a new incremental image, so I do it anyway - it's just another click after all :))

PhilB66:
cant find a homepage for it (Irestorer)
--- End quote ---

http://irestorer.parsaspace.ir/

Apparently, there was a problem with irestorer and the project is discontinued. See this thread @ http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r21076200-Need-Info-Lost-post-software

tymrwt33:
In addition to Acronis True Image there is also Macrium Reflect and Paragon Drive Copy. All thee are quite good and full of features. Recently Paragon was available for $20 on some special deal direct from the company. I got an e-mail offer because I used Paragon Partition Manager for years. Macrium has a free version that does full partitions only. Paid version will backup and restore files and folders as well, as do the other two programs. That was also recently available as a one day deal for $20
for Iconico bulletin subscribers.

Macrium seems a little faster in backup and restore than ATI and I quite like it, but so far have only restored one image. Went well. 

I agree with 40hz that ATI V11 is too bloated, and for me full of features I will never use. I stick with it because upgrades to new versions used to be reasonable. I think they are readying a new version.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version