ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Dilemma - Free AVG8 - Buggy; Updates for Free AVG 7.5 ending May 08

<< < (4/4)

patthecat:
Despite what we see on the AVG 7.5 Free pop-up ending support as of end of May, it seems like AVG has extended support until the end of the year (12/31/2008).  See relevant sticky thread post on their forum:

http://freeforum.avg.com/list.php?1

So at least it gives us more time to explore alternatives.  Currently I'm trying Avast Home on one of my laptops.  Will keep AVG 7.5 Free on the other machines to see if the updates really happen after the end of May.

Lashiec:
Hmmm, I wonder how good are the spyware detection capabilities in AVG 8 compared to AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5. *sigh*, to download a entire suite to replace a single app...

Lashiec:
[Edit: Removed two previous posts requesting illegal registration keys for Avira - but left extremely polite response. Carol ]

Hey, that one is easy. Or if you prefer, the free way

BTW, the message is not meant to be sarcastic, but DonationCoder does not handle free license keys for shareware software unless there is some kind of giveaway. The site also offer discounts for certain software, which you can take advantage of if you're a member. And the Avira suite you mention is not included in any of the options. So, either you pay up for a license at the Avira shop, or you get the free version, which is quite nice by itself.

40hz:
I gave up on those long ago (use NOD32 now).
-Carol Haynes (May 17, 2008, 04:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I ran into some problems with NOD32 when I bought a copy a few years ago after it was recommended by Gizmo Richards up on TSA.

I'm tempted to give it another try. Have you been happy with NOD on your machine?

Carol Haynes:
Very - it is very light on resources and seems to do the job well enough. Occasionally it takes a while to check a ZIP file when you download one from the internet but it isn't really a problem.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version