ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

Process Tamer Update Coming -- Express your feature requests here!

<< < (8/17) > >>

Curt:
Yes, it is fairly safe. On my previous PC with Windows 2000 Pro I tried to run RealPlayer 10 at RealTime (24) without any problems that I can remember. But it is not preferably. How does one tell 60 (or 300) apps they are of less importance? Should I mark all of them "Force below normal"? No, surely that is not what you meant.

Cavalcader:
How does one tell 60 (or 300) apps they are of less importance? Should I mark all of them "Force below normal"?
-Curt (August 07, 2007, 05:25 PM)
--- End quote ---
That's the beauty of Process Tamer -- it reduces those below normal that demand more than their fair share of CPU time, whether 5 or 5000.

Don't forget that you can adjust the amount of CPU usage that triggers the priority reduction, so it could actually work out to be the equivalent of "Force below normal" for all but the foreground app when set that way.

I'm glad a very high priority works for you, though -- hopefully RealPlayer 11 will be optimized before it goes "final".  8)

Armando:
Maybe others have suggested that before, but one interesting feature IMHO would be to not only change the priority, but to limit the CPU usage for a process (example : from 100%  to something lower). There's already a nice Open Source utility called BES which does that, but... wouldn't it be great if PT could to it all?  :)

BES is a small tool which limits the CPU usage for a specified process: for instance, you can limit the CPU usage of a process which would use CPU 100%, down to 50% (or any percentage you like). With this, you can use other programs comfortably while doing something CPU-intensive in the background. By limiting the CPU load, you can also cool down your CPU immediately when it happens to get too hot. Of course the processing speed will slow down proportionally if you limit the CPU usage, but it should be much better than crashing because of heat or (in the worst scenario) having your computer broken with a burned CPU.

Furthermore, BES can hide any windows you don't want to be seen for some reason, without killing the process, and restore the hidden windows again anytime you like.
--- End quote ---

Curt:
@ Cavalcader; the media player (sorry; THIS media player) needs the CPU all of the time, but is almost never foreground program but almost always "background" / hidden to tray. Windows Media Player 11 is quite genius at this point, but at the same excercise RealPlayer 11 is still truly beta - plus, I don't think RealPlayer 11 Beta is using a buffer (but I'm not sure). Frankly, I just want WMP to play all of my music files, so I can do without the (not so) Real concept.

Cavalcader:
Frankly, I just want WMP to play all of my music files, so I can do without the (not so) Real concept.
-Curt (August 08, 2007, 02:06 AM)
--- End quote ---
I hear ya there! Definitely a hassle to have to use a half-dozen players for a variety of boutique formats.

BTW, Armando, thanks for the link to BES -- looks worth checking out!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version