ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

Process Tamer Update Coming -- Express your feature requests here!

<< < (3/17) > >>

Jakeman:
Jakeman, are you using win9x or winMe?  process tamer is only for Win 2K/XP, so that might explain the problem.
-mouser (April 12, 2007, 08:47 AM)
--- End quote ---

Hi Mouser!

Thanks for the quick response; after I sent my post I realized the omission but wasn't sure of it's importance.  I'm running Win 2000 (SP4), but on an older PC (Dell Optiplex G1) with a Pentium II (350 mHz) and 256 MB of RAM.  Is this enough for your program?

I had done some "housekeeping" yesterday and got rid of some old files, then I upgraded my browser to Firefox 2.0.0.3 just prior to downloading the Process Tamer software.  Could some residual crap on my hard drive (80GB) have interfered with it?  When I started the computer today, that same error message appeared after the system came up.  Haven't checked into this any further yet, and I'm off to work...

Appreciate it,
Jakeman

Darwin:
PT does a great job at a well-targeted problem. It would be hard to improve on it. But since you insist, here are some ideas.

* Allow the foreground task more leeway -- if it's something that I'm actually interacting with, then allow it to hit a higher threshold before "punishing" it.

* Current Status -- I know there's a log I can consult to see what's happening, but how about a "Current status" to reveal a list of any processes that are currently in the penalty box?
* Misbehavior list -- show a simple list of all processes that have been throttled since the last time the list was cleared, and maybe a count of how many times. (this and the previous item would help me locate problems on my system)
* Temporarily allow a busy task -- Select a currently-throttled process and allow it to continue freely until the process ends (or PT ends), without creating a permanent rule.-CWuestefeld (April 12, 2007, 11:16 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dang! Now why couldn't I have come up with this list?  :-[

:Thmbsup:

mouser:
Allow the foreground task more leeway -> not a bad idea (note that current version of PT lets you say to never tame the foreground task, which is a useful option).

Misbehavior list -> yes i thought of this myself and i like it.

Temporarily allow -> that's a good idea.. plus maybe a menu option to put the currently tamed app on ignore list or other choices, so that you dont have to bring up the config dialog for common things.

Darwin:
Temporarily allow -> that's a good idea.. plus maybe a menu option to put the currently tamed app on ignore list or other choices, so that you dont have to bring up the config dialog for common things.-mouser (April 12, 2007, 01:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's more or less what I was driving at earlier, but failing to put into words  8)

rjbull:
Can Process Tamer be remotely enabled/disabled, i.e., can you put a command in a scheduler to enable or disable it?  Then when running 24/7 I can let the remote administrators do what they will when I'm not present, but can automatically reclaim a reasonable degree of control when I am.  If you see what I mean...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version