ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > Find And Run Robot

Feature Request - Find folder names

<< < (2/3) > >>

jgpaiva:
this would come in handy when i'm fumbling with the open/save dialogs then i could call up f+r then get the exact path i need...
-lanux128 (March 09, 2006, 07:52 PM)
--- End quote ---
Good thinking! :)

noth(a)nk.you:
Another vote for finding folders.  In my case, I name all my homework files similarly (HW1, HW2, ...) inside folders of the course number--it'd be nice to have that number play into the searching.  For example, "471 HW" would bring up the list of "HW" files from \EE 471\.

And I like lanux128's idea for copying the path to clipboard, but I wonder if it should be optionally tied to a hotkey (e.g. Ctrl+Shift+C).

Thanks for your time!

nitrix-ud:
Hi all,

One more vote for finding folder names !!
that would be lovely, i'm still using Approcket because of that
i run a small web agency, yet we have close to 100 customers, and it grows...
I use approcket as a starting point to open a project folder (with approcket you can add folder names of a specific folder - big projects folder in my case - everything stays nice and tidy :), no subfolder indexing, etc.)

Cheers,
Nico

couam:
Hi all,

First a big thanks to all FRR contributors.
I'm on this wonderful piece of software since only a few hours and the only things missing me is the folder names. Happy to see it's planned :)

Bye

cnewtonne:
Here is an idea of how to have FARR do folder names (to a nice extent). Currently, it searches what you type using file names. So If I type 'budget' it'll find all files where this string is part of the name. How about if I type '\budget' to have FARR realize that I want it to search using file absolute path only because I included the backslash. so it should find..
\budget\home.xls
\budget\work.xls
\home\budget.xls

and better yet, if I want to find 1st file I can simply do this 'get\h'

This way FARR solves the 2 problems ...
1) find all files having 'budget' in their names i.e. search by subject
2) find all files in in this path i.e. search by location

Practically we're faced with both issues on  daily basis.

You can certainly pretty this up by having FARR display the parent folder as the first entry so user can open if they wish. Also, this builds upon FARR major strength where it needs not prebuild in index or load its data causing a significant performance hit.

Overall, I thin doing a pattern search using absolute paths is most efficient way. Compare this to the 3 other methods...

1- auto-complete as you type (as in TypeAndRun) where typing 'c:\p' wtill automatically complete it to 'c:\program files' and if there are multiple matches you need to use tab key to go through them. This is not too bad either.

2- Pattern search on folder names with results shown visually like AppRocket. This very nice too.

3- Keywording folders in file paths (as in Link Stash). So I can type 'documents'
to show all files where this string is part of the path. Or I can type 'documents' 'pictures' to limit it more.

Using above example, my idea is to type 'nts\pic', 's\p', 's\', or even '\p' to display contents of picture folder in documents.

Hope this appeals to you. Let me know what you think.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version