ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Drupal is f*cked

<< < (6/16) > >>

Shades:
It's clear that mileage does vary....I have setup a lot more clients with a Joomla powered site than with Drupal. Well, that was their choice after being introduced to multiple CMS's. Seems that it is easier to maintain the content part for those people.

Dr-Leech:
yes, probably for the common user Joomla is easier. But for the developer it's really annoying.
I prefer Drupal over Joomla, specially for the big developers community around, which makes everything easy. Also all the modules are free (or almost all, I don't know of commercial ones for Drupal) and well organized, not like Joomla that redirects you to the developer website (if it already exists) and luckily it will be free..

notzippy:
I have deployed sites with mambo, joomla, phpwebsite and none of them were as complicated as a drupal powered site. There may be power there but the learning curve for it takes far too long.

I have sworn off of Joomla since there GPL Licensing  campaign (started version 1.1.3 ) The developers in that group branched from Mambo then a year later tell all the developers that there components (plug-ins) cannot be sold, they must be open-source.

Here is another package to stay away from if your are a developer "Magento Commerce". This ecommerce CMS uses the EAV database schema and if you have ever thought data-mining was difficult you aint seen nothing yet !, And the ability to "theme" a site has so much code in the template that when a version change occurs you have to redo your "theme" !

One CMS I am tempted to look into is silverstripe (http://silverstripe.com/) has anyone tried or worked in this before ?

s

city_zen:
The very best way to read about these different CMS solution from people who actually used them is to go here http://www.opensourcecms.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=2097 and for each solution, you will see user comments at the bottom. I spent a whole night browsing through them and reading these comments. Was truly the best way.
-cnewtonne (April 11, 2007, 03:06 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yup, I agree with you.

But if you just want to do a quick feature-wise comparison of just about any CMS out there, CMS Matrix offers a very powerful search and comparison tool. You can compare up to 10 out of 961 (!) CMS on what must be like 100 different features. Worth taking a look.

mouser:
As much as i have ranted against drupal from a usability standpoint, I do need to say that from a developer's standpoint it's pretty darn impressive, and i keep coming back to it when thinking about larger projects.

Given the plans for Drupal 7 it seems like they realize how bad the usability of Drupal is and are focusing on that heavily for the next major release.  That's a good sign.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version