ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Would you pay for WinZip?

<< < (5/5)

m_s:
I really appreciate the model and the motivation...  I've lived in a different, parallel economy for the last ten years, working with the idea that we take what we need and give what we can - that's why I'm excited by donationcoder.  I have been enthusiastically recommending it to friends since I discovered the site, both for what it contains (in the sense of great software and reviews), and for what it stands for (and here I mean a break from the old ways, a new way of doing business).  And also: I've been reading various forums for the last few months, after staying clear of them for the first 11 years of my surfing the internet - well, it only became surfing when I got broadband a few months back, before then it was just paddling - and I must say I feel there's something different about dc, and I think that does have to do with a different ethos, a different way of doing things.  Perhaps it's a sentimental idea, but I get much more of a feeling of a circle of friends, if only in possibility - that's something it could become, in a way I don't see happening on any of the other forums I'm reading.

zridling:
I second that emotion. This is truly a unique corner on the net. Looking at middle ground, if you want to be depressed, imagine how many tens, if not hundreds of thousands of users the text editor PSPad has and then go look at Jan Fiala's PSPad Donation Page and make sure you blink twice — about $1700 in over two years.

That's a downright shame, given how many users crow on and on about how great it is. But then, how many of us who are good with computers haven't been asked a million times by family members: "Can't you make a living at that?"

Uh, no mom. Not unless you know someone who will pay me, now get off my back!

jpfx:
I've 'grown' into paying for software. But I'm still much more inclined to pay the small guy than the big guy. Maybe because my voice has a chance to be heard with one and no chance at all with the other.

As for winzip... no chance now personally and no chance at work unless a new version becomes the 'de facto' standard.

Nighted:
Not anymore...maybe 8 years ago. WinRAR totally wastes WinZip as far as features go. Plus WinRAR doesn't make you pay extra for a self-extracting archive. It has better compression, the ability to view folders as FOLDERS as opposed to a path in WinZip.

I still use WinZip though...I don't have the heart to let it go. It's still a great app but it does need some updates to get the power users back on board...although when you've a user base like them and as many copies sold, maybe you become a bit aloof to the competition...sound like any other software companies out there??? ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version