ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Desktop Search 3.01 for XP

<< < (2/6) > >>

edbro:
Why anyone would use this, I have no clue.

Get Locate and use the -r switch with something like SlickRun or FARR and you'll be happier than you were before. ;)
-Nighted (April 01, 2007, 06:51 PM)
--- End quote ---
Maybe it is because they do very different things??? Locate only looks for filenames. GDS, Copernic, etc search inside files/documents for content.

Can Locate tell you where that pdf is that has the words "some content" in it? I doubt it.

dk70:
Yeah no comparison, also the instant preview is pretty neat. Unless you have a need for such indexing it might seem like Locate is so much better but not really in same category. I tried it out because I thought it could be useful for some less file-aware people I know - I came to like it more than expected.

I still have Locate installed - even more permanently since I discovered a plugin for Total Commander. Locate + TC is twice the speed :) http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=14087

Check out help file of WDS - has quite advanced command line options. Worked really well, fast as hxxx - just that reindexing problem.

TucknDar:
I still have Locate installed - even more permanently since I discovered a plugin for Total Commander. Locate + TC is twice the speed :) http://www.ghisler.ch/board/viewtopic.php?t=14087
-dk70 (April 01, 2007, 09:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
It's an awesome combination!

Locate is super for its use, but not really the same category as GDS, WDS and copernic, as has been said a few times now ;)

tomos:
does WDS keep indexing your drive(s)
or
can you tell it to do it -

* manually
* or, e.g. at a particular time each day/week/whatever

urlwolf:
I think you can tell it when to index.
I don't see much disk activity since I installed it, I must have been able to swtich off indexing (don't remember how).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version