ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Desktop Search 3.01 for XP

(1/6) > >>

Curt:
Windows Desktop Search 3.01 for Windows XP requires Microsoft Genuine validation. I like it, and think it is fast and much better than the old standard search engine. Only, the look of it is not too smart, yet: what an incredible waste of space!

(hmmm "waist" is "waste")  :-[

This should of course not take up any more space than a single icon, when not in use. May such an improvement be a coding snack, or is it a full meal?

Date Published: 2/20/2007

Overview:

Windows Desktop Search (WDS) 3.01 is a minor update to Windows Desktop Search 3.0 that adds: support for indexing UNC files, additional support for enterprise deployment, and stability improvements. WDS 3.01 installs on Windows XP and Window Server 2003, but is not needed for Windows Vista since the WDS component is already included in Vista. Windows Desktop Search 3.01 helps you to find, preview, and use your documents, e-mail, music, photos, and other items. The search engine in Windows Desktop Search 3.01 is a Windows service that is also used by applications such as Microsoft Office Outlook 2007 and OneNote 2007 to index application content and deliver instant results when searching within that application.

If you choose to install and use Windows Desktop Search, you can search for e-mail, documents and other files located on your computer. No information about the files on your computer will be sent to Microsoft as part of this process. Instead, Windows Desktop Search will index the content of your computer and store the index file on your computer. You can customize Windows Desktop Search to index only specified folders on your computer. Windows Desktop search will not store copies of e-mail or documents after they are deleted.
-Microsoft
--- End quote ---

Curt:
- just to clear things up: Waist on a woman is not a waste.

:-[   sorry, I couldn't help it.

----

I know I can hide this toolbar, but I think the very idea about Desktop Search 3 being FAST will fade, if the bar is hidden.

dk70:
Yeah very nice - beats Google, Copernic by far I think. But some have had problems with 3.01 - will reindex everything for every boot. More about this bug or whatever at the 2 Search forum here http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/default.aspx?ForumGroupID=25&SiteID=1 Should be on page 1 or 2. An example http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1319409&SiteID=1 Different solutions and ideas on what is wrong. None applied to me - I thought Kaspersky but not sure, did not uninstall AV to check - disable might not be enough. Also tried 3.0 which should not cause this but it did. Helped some. 3.0 is still available for download.

Bar can be floating and I think also called by shortcut. Is in Explorer and even IE with Live bar as well. If a waste you dont use WDS enough ;)

Curt:
some have had problems with 3.01 - will reindex everything for every boot.
-dk70 (March 29, 2007, 01:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Your words made me watch my WDS 3.01, but its giving me no problems at all.
 :up:

Nighted:
Why anyone would use this, I have no clue. Unless having that search box on your taskbar is somehow indispensable...

Get Locate and use the -r switch with something like SlickRun or FARR and you'll be happier than you were before. ;)
Also, choose when, and how often it indexes.

I should mention that to index about a terabyte of data takes only a couple minutes.

Get Locate instead.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version