ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

HMonitor ... a warning ...

(1/4) > >>

Carol Haynes:
Just had a bad experience and felt the need to express myself.

I purchased a copy of HMonitor http://www.hmonitor.com/ a while back.

It is a key based system (which is fair enough) but be warned if you buy this software.

If at some future date you need to reinstall Windows the key will not work and if a new version is released the author will not supply a new code unless you buy the version upgrade. I have not changed my hardware so I do not need an upgrade, or gain anything if I do.

This would be fair enough if I upgrade my hardware and need the later version for support but I don't !!

To my mind this is the worst of practices (and pretty unique in my experience).

Effectively you are held hostage to upgrades.

If you want a hardware monitor I would suggest looking elsewhere !

mouser:
carol - this sounds outrageous.

are you saying that you can't even reinstall your old copy, because you were given a license based on your hardware (or windows install info), and now that you've upgraded your windows, he won't give you a new license key based on your new windows/hardware install info?

i don't care if you are reinstalling windows or replacing your computer and getting another one, that would be totally unacceptable, and very uncommon.

if that's really the case then i would advise everyone to steer very clear from this company,

and with your permission i would like to email the author to let him/her know in a polite fashion that he is going to very quickly develop a bad reputation if he insists on this.  if sites like this one, and zaine's, etc. take the time to write to these authors and let them know that this kind of stuff is going to backfire on them maybe they will change their views.

Carol Haynes:
That is exactly the situation.

I emailed him again saying it was outrageous and verging on illegal and just got a reply - there is obviously some sort of confusion.

I'll let you know the outcome.

mouser:
ok.  definitely let us know.  feel free to mention that this forum is keenly interested in the answer.

jpfx:
I bought v4.1 in january 2004. I'm not entitled to the current 4.2 or an upgrade pricing
quote:

We have received your registration request for Hmonitor.
We need to note that new registration accepted for 4.2 releases only.
All revisions below 4.1 are obsolete  and not supported anymore.

The developer's a renowned twunt.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version