ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Backup Guide

Pre-review discussion of Backup Software

<< < (5/8) > >>

JeffK:
I think that would be helpful.  Perhaps there are some thoughts around about how to combine the "drive backup" type of tool with the folder/file backup tools liks Syncback.

Jeff

mouser:
yes, that was my intent, to provide a guide to a complete backup strategy.
keeping with philosophy of this site, i would focus on recommending a particular comprehensive backup strategy.

JeffK:
I look forward to it.

Jeff :up:

mouser:
randy, good point about supporting different partition/operatingsystem types

nudone:
my apologies for banging on about whether boot CDs are required or not - it appears the current crop of drive imaging software aren't as strict about this (i've not tried the current version of ghost so can't speak for that).

i'm pretty sure though that version 7 of acronis true image and ghost 8 wouldn't use a dos boot loader type thingy when i tried them (might have been over a year ago) but i'll admit i should have tried the current versions myself before making an issue of using boot CDs.

acronis appears to be the favourite with a lot of people so i thought i better try it. looks good i must say. the chunky graphics and layout look better than the paragon drive backup software's interface but from what i've tried so far the program from paragon is quicker to use.

as an example, which i would expect to be the common one for most users, i made a complete backup of my system partition and then restored it...

using paragon drive backup and from within the windows o/s i could select the image to restore and then let it reboot and get on with it - simple.

using acronis true image, within windows again, after selecting the image to restore there then followed another sequence of steps to follow after acronis true image had rebooted itself into dos, i.e. i had to repeat the image selecting procedure all over again. seems a bit unnecessary to me. why repeat it?

have i missed something or is this how acronis works?

i know i'm moaning all over again about having to make a few extra steps. i can't help but find it odd when you can't just select the image to restore, click 'go' and then walk out the room knowing that when you return in a few minutes everything will be done.

in short, paragon drive backup seems the most sensible program to use in this scenario.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version