ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how tidy and complete is your music library?

<< < (2/4) > >>

iphigenie:
The only way someone would have a clean library is if all their music had been created with the same tool and the same settings.

I have 2 main sources so it's not too bad - most of the mess comes from relying on CDDB databases when ripping, you get everything from typos to strange capitalization and the one that annoys me the most, micro-genre classification.

It still beats having to type everything in, I have had to type and submit about a dozen and that was dull enough.

The first clean up step I did was reduce it to about a dozen genres. Yes, it's hugely reductionist but I just can be bothered to think about all the sublabelling that goes on.

I also cleaned up most artist names to have the same pattern everywhere

Then i use the "rename from tag" option that my software uses, which also does directories. So I have artist/album  (or more precisely "album artist"/album since i have quite a few "various artists" albums).

I'm currently going through the "various artists" album to put each song's real artist in, so i can properly find what I have by X or Y. And now and then I also drop lyrics in, I like that.

But no, my collection is still a mess - thank heavens for clever tag based search!

TucknDar:
Actually 99% of my music are on those old fashion things called original CDs and are stored in physical shelves. They're not organized very well though, although my <9 months old daughter is working on a new system :wallbash:

urlwolf:
What is this tidy of which you speak? I got one folder for music, and sub folders for full albums, all id-tags are default, I don't change them.
-nite_monkey (March 24, 2007, 11:29 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, for a start, no duplicates, no missing album info, no tracks with defaults (unknown artist), etc

Then, you can make sure that everything has other fields like BPM, year, etc.

Having cover art for everything is nice too.

If you care about directory structure, then having a consistent artist/album tree too.

Some people like to have lyrics.

The amount of time that can be wasted in this is really impressive :)

Eóin:
Mine is tidy but I'd like to think not obsessively so ;) Basically musikCube forced me to correct a lot of tags and every now and again I run MediaMonkeys 'auto-organise from tags' to clean up the directory layout.

Ampa:
Currently I use MusicBrainz Picard to identify and tag my files, it also renames them. Then I'd  - grab the cover art from Amazon, while MP3Gain sets the replaygain information.

Finally I use XMPlay to save the playlist.

Have always used a standard naming scheme for folders and files, and everything gets catalogued on CDBank - so in all it is good enough.

There was a stage where I'd add an album review, cover art and BPM etc to each file, but it was short lived and struck me as pointless at best.

Ampa

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version