ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

For DC Fans: Bring DC Forum to your Desktop for searching/browsing/etc.

<< < (2/7) > >>

urlwolf:
While decompressing, I'm shopping around for an indexer :)
Looks like the windows one will make my oneNote searches faster too. Can you limit the dirs that windows DS indexes, to just say the DC archive and my onenote folder? If so, this could be one less application I need to install. Is there any reason you have all four in your computer and also recommend X1 dedicated to just the DC archive?

Wordzilla:
urlwolf:

We have a few topics here discussing desktop search engines:

desktop search guide page

What is the currently best Desktop Search software?

from X1 8)

Wordzilla:
Looks like the windows one will make my oneNote searches faster too. Can you limit the dirs that windows DS indexes, to just say the DC archive and my onenote folder?

--- End quote ---

Yes of course. I have WDS running and it's completed indexing my DC html pages.

Right click on its tray icon and select "... Options", click "Modify" and add the DCForumCrawl_Titled (rename it if you like) directory. Deselect other unwanted drives/directories. :)

If so, this could be one less application I need to install. Is there any reason you have all four in your computer and also recommend X1 dedicated to just the DC archive?

--- End quote ---

I've been testing these tools to see which is best for my specific tasks. None of them is best in all areas.

Google Desktop Search is great for general indexing everything, including visited webpages (yay!), however I find it not very convenient to specify how, where, and when the files should be indexed.

With X1, you have fine, manual control over these aspects, which makes it the best tool for the job (for me).

urlwolf:
Thanks for that.
Looks like WDS is a pain to configure. I basically want it to ignore my entire HD, and index only the 2-3 folders I tell it to. I see that X 1 does that fine, but how difficult is it in WDS?

Also, does any of these applications index music tags? Say I want to search for album="foo", or artist="bar" is that possible?

Wordzilla:
I basically want it to ignore my entire HD, and index only the 2-3 folders I tell it to.

--- End quote ---

Go to "Windows Desktop Search Options" , click "Modify" and (de)select drive/directories.

Also, does any of these applications index music tags? Say I want to search for album="foo", or artist="bar" is that possible?

--- End quote ---

afaik, there're some free plugins for Google Desktop Search (also listed in the official GDS plugins directory) that do:

Audio Files GDS Indexer
Mp3tag Audio Indexer
GDS Real Media Indexer

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version