ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I found a jewel of a program: XMplay

<< < (5/8) > >>

urlwolf:
still, mp3toys doesn't sound as good to my ears.
I think I've found one reason why xmplay may sound better to many of us (at least Darwin, Krazy Hawaiian, and me).

For me is like I can get more detail and get more "into" the music.

Look at the autoamp slider. if it's set to dynamic, you will see how it moves around, increasing the amp in parts where the recording would be pretty much inaudible (try it with classical, with a wide dynamic range, e.g., orchestral stuff).

THis is kind of an alternative solution to replaygain, but while replaygain works as a single tag for the entire file, this autoamp thing changes within a file, and it does the analysis in real time!

(This might save you the trouble -and mapy CPU hours- of running mp3gain on your large collection)
This cannot be as pretty as it sounds, such a simple solution should have been discovered before and mainstream by now.

I'm still investigating this...

f0dder:
such a simple solution should have been discovered before and mainstream by now.
-urlwolf
--- End quote ---
1) real-time analysis probably isn't all that simple :)
2) it destroys the intended (or very-bad-mastered, in some cases) dynamics of the track.

I'm personally not that big a fan of the various "audio enhancers", since it makes the music not sound like it intended when it was made.

urlwolf:
2) it destroys the intended (or very-bad-mastered, in some cases) dynamics of the track.
--- End quote ---

Does that hold for replaygain as well?
If I understand it right, mp3gain (not foobar) writes a tag with volume correction info to each sector (?) of an mp3, whereas foobar just uses one tag for the entire file.
I can attest that mp3gain is slow as hell... close to 20hrs for a measly 8000 tracks.

I agree about the audo enhancers, but changing the overall volume is not that bad.

f0dder:
Well, per-track gain destroys the dynamics if the album was actually mastered, but album gain can be justifiable with albums that were masted way too low (a couple of metallica albums for example, iirc). Per-track gain can be justifiable, though, if the mastering people really screwed up...

I'm going to do the gain-scanning either before or while I convert my wavs to FLAC, so I won't have to decompress-and-scan later on. But I'll still have to do a bit of research on how it all works, especially since I use the somewhat untradtional one wave/flac + cuesheet per album, instead of one file per track.

sri:
How do I get rid of (hide) the bottom window?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version