ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I found a jewel of a program: XMplay

<< < (3/8) > >>

Darwin:
Hi quantumrider,

I downloaded and installed Quintessential Player - very nice. I rebooted my computer and then fired it up and played an mp3. I recorded CPU usage, RAM usage and VM usage and then repeated with XMPlay playing the same mp3 (Deus' "There is nothing impossible"):

Quintessential: 00-21% CPU/ 9468K RAM/ 21248 K VM
XMPlay: 00-18% CPU/ 6432K RAM/ 6368K VM

Quintessential certainly qualifies as light, particularly in comparison to the other players I tried. It's heavier then XMPlay but does have the advantage of being more intuitive in terms of the layout of its controls. I'm going to to stick with XMPlay for now because I like it, but I'll keep my eyes on Quintessential Player.

brotherS:
XMplay is "OK", I use it on my USB stick. For my PC I still prefer Winamp - it's much, much more customizable (hotkeys! plugins!), and still only uses 2-8% CPU and 12 MB RAM.

See https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=3198.0

PS: I don't understand who *anyone* could only use the Windows MediaPlayer for playback! It's SO BAD!  8)

urlwolf:
Darwin, what is CMS?

I just installed Quintessential to see what sound quality it had. I subjectily compared MM, quintessential and xmplay. All using the default settings in ozone. xmplay sounds best to my ears, by far. Of course, this is just subjective.

Darwin:
urlwolf, I have to agree with you about the sound quality in XMplay. I don't know if it's just the blindness (deafness?) of love (I'm rather smitten with XMplay...), but it sounds crisper and cleaner to me. Anyway, CMS is Creative MediaSource, the player and manager that ships with Creative Soundcards. It's just possible that you can download and install it without having a Creative card installed (I'm not sure). I quite like it, but prefer XMplay because it's so light and quick. I've also managed to install DFx for Winamp (I own a license for the Master Pack for DFx 9) and port it into XMplay, so it sounds better than ever (though on balance, I have to say that its sound quality unaugmented was superb). I've just made XMplay my default player for everything. I'll be interested to see what 3.4 has in store.

jdd:
darwin, would you mind putting my favorite VUPlayer to the comparison test... http://vuplayer?  I first learned about it here on DC. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version