ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Choosing a keyboard and a mouse

<< < (2/5) > >>

TucknDar:
I used to love the ergonomic Logitech keyboard I had once. Was great, until my gf spilt coffee on it :( Stupid me told her to buy a new one, and she bought one I never was too happy with.

Now I use a notebook, but recently bought a vx revolution mouse (Logitech) which is excellent. I highly recommend it, but I suppose the MX revolution is even better for a stationary computer system.

app103:
Because of my typing style, the choice of keyboard really isn't that important, as long as it's 'normal' (none of those crazy ergonomic ones for me)

My choice of mouse though...that is important. Most people will develop a bump on their wrist (right where the palm meets the wrist, in line with your pinkie) from mouse use, over time...and it won't bother them any. (it's like the bump you develop on your middle finger from writing) For me, though, it is painful and the skin is prone to friction damage. I had to throw away my mousepad with the gel wrist rest because it was rubbing me badly and causing my skin to crack.

Someone wonderful person gave me a great gift of an ergonomic mouse that keeps that area of my wrist off the desk, and I LOVE it!

It took a little bit to get used to it, but I can't use a regular mouse now...they are much too uncomfortable, in so many ways.

I would say that if you type like a normal person (I don't), that getting a keyboard that you hold your hands in a normal natural position is important...and holding your hand in a normal natural position with your mouse is important too.

I type with 1 hand, and just turning the normal keyboard at an angle works for me.

I like to keep my pet mouse & keyboard on a leash (cord)...keeps them where they belong.  :D

Lashiec:
So many advice, I'll try to comment everything.

mouser
1) I'll check mouse reviews. The candidates for solo wireless mouse are the Logitech LX5 (optical) and the LX7 (laser). Both are affordable, and work with batteries, which I can recharge, keeping a pair fully charged in case of emergency. Even then, I don't think I would have any problem. One of my friends have a Microsoft combination (1000 Series, I think), and he didn't recharge the batteries up to this day, and it's been some months since he bought it.

2) Yeah, but I was asking about wireless keyboards for the option of buying a wireless combination. I'll probably use the mouse from bed when I watch some movies, but I tried using wireless keyboards without a desk and it's not recommended :)

3) If I mix, I'll mix wireless mouse and wired keyboard. It's almost impossible to find solo wireless keyboards.

4) In a shop they sell the 2000 model. It's also ergonomic, but it doesn't have a palm rest, so I don't know if it'll be an option. In my city, it seems there some kind of ploy to sell Microsoft low-end products, so that's why this is the only offering from them I'm considering. The rest (700 and 1000 combinations, and standard keyboards) can't compete with Logitech and some of the high-end Genius products.

kyrathaba
 Avoiding cable mess is one of my pursues in life ;D. Standard keyboards are fine, but recently I started to have some minor pain in the arms and wrists, and a great one on the palms. Maybe I'm using the computer too much ("hell yeah!" would say my mother :)), but I want to play safe. Thanks for the article!

TucknDar
 I would LOVE to buy that Logitech combination, but that's EXACTLY the only one they don't have at any shop. CRAP! They even have the whole diNovo line!

app103
 You know what? I didn't notice that bump 'til you mentioned it. It doesn't ache, but well, I would prefer not to have it there (although the one in the middle finger is QUITE worse ;D). And that's a strange mouse :)

To end this long post, apart from the two mentioned mouses and the Microsoft keyboard, I'm considering for buying all these products:

* Genius ErgoMedia 700 (keyboard only)
* Genius ErgoMedia R800 (wireless combination)
* Logitech Cordless Desktop LX710 Laser
* Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3000 Laser
* Logitech Cordless Desktop MX 3200 Laser
* Logitech Cordless Desktop S 510
* Logitech Media Keyboard EliteSo, if you've tried one of these, tell me! And thanks for all comments!

dk70:
MX 3000 combo is what I have now and no major complaints yet. I even like the hated Logitech software, Setpoint. Im not sure what specs are common for those you mention but because of this mouse I know I will always want scroolwheel with left/right button features and thumb buttons on the side. So much easier/faster to navigate browser when you assign tab switching to thumb buttons and next/previous extension shortcuts to scrollwheel button.

Im just looking at retired MX 700 mouse and remembered all these quick steps did not work very well. Thumb buttons too small, strangely placed as well - and no button on scrollwheel. Ergonomics is all that matters, for you that is. MX 3000 and I assume MX 3200 fits my hand size perfectly. You have to test with own body parts to be sure but you can see at Logitech site keyboard is quite big and spacy, not too many gadgets. Most is useful. Fx keys could be bigger is about only problem I can think of. If I want to complain I would prefer more rounded buttons instead of narrow/thin ones for zoom buttons on mouse and media stuff on keyb. Im not really interested in zooming but since Setpoint lets you assign whatever to whatever they could be more useful - perhaps back/forward in browsers, almost no use for mouse gestures then. They are so narrow you almost feel they could cut finger!

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=2162,CONTENTID=10709

kfitting:
Just wanted to add a plug for the Evoluent Vertical Mouse.   I have been using one for a year or two now (left and right hand... one for work, one for home!).  It's not perfect, but it is fairly comfortable!  www.evoluent.com

Kevin

edit: just noticed app already has a link to the vertical mouse... but the one I gave is the main page.
edit2: also, if you are interested in the whole RSI thing, "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook" ( $13 on Amazon) has been an amazing guide to pain relief.  It has worked amazingly well for me, though I will not claim that it will do so for others.  It takes a little time and effort, but over the last year, I would definitely say it's been the best $13 I have spent!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version