ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

List of disc catalogers

<< < (7/34) > >>

tomos:
... I used it for myself to see how many progs are existing, how good are they and what are the shiny pearls (best features) of them, how many are still in development and I wanted to see the amount of free/commercial software and the prices of them. That´s all.

The list is now nearly at the end with nearly 200 entries. Now it´s the question how I could post it here. The best thing would be if others could update or add new programs to the list.-Crush (April 12, 2007, 02:50 PM)
--- End quote ---

sounds great Crush.
I have thought it would be great if others could add to the list because as you say it's very time consuming (& my list only has 25 I think  :o )
Doing screenshots for such a large number would be out of the question I think..
also,
while screenshots make the whole visually more appealing, more often than not they aren't very informative.

lanux128:
just my personal opinion, wouldn't such a long list make a person lose interest? btw, how about introducing some criteria and limit to final review to something like 10-15 apps, the rest can included in an appendix.. we can also suggest that readers who don't like the the first 15 can try out the rest by using the same methods followed for the first 15 and post a mini-review.. :)

Crush:
I don´t think that people lose interest by the size of the list - they lose interest if the tools they look at doesn´t meet their needs.

To make them comparable you have to pick out the most interesting features people are searching for. The first one finds it more interesting to have thumbnails for pictures, the other one is more fascinated in MP3-Tagging-features, others prefer high speed searches over a very big list of files (perhaps with features to look inside archives) and less memory usage. Some wants to give out money for a good product - others don´t have enough money for that and need full featured freeware-versions and so on. I now can say that out of these huge list only a few meets my personal needs and no one has all the features I´d personally like to see. Such complex programs like catalogers are too different to say what are the "best". You can only say there´s a best one for a special usage.

Which one´s the right for you depends on whatfor you want to use it!

You can believe me that most people doesn´t want to spend hundreds of hours gathering all relevant entries (like I did) and then test them on their own. I´m glad to have this list now and others perhaps, too. The list with intensive reviews is gold for everyone who´s in urgent need of a cataloger. At the moment anything comparable to this review-project is available in the internet. You find only the same few of these programs in the shareware-lists, but other very unkown with creamy facilities and outstanding ideas you don´t find within the "normal" commercial progs are also out there. These were the ones I was especially looking for. I made this especially for myself but would be happy to also help others who can profit somehow from this hard work.

The biggest comparison list I found also had only very few and old entries but this was ok: http://www.cdfinder.de/list2.html The only problem is that this list is looking at rather old and only 68K-/powerpc-processor Mac-Software. This type of list is very helpful to make a good decision. A personal review also would be an addition to something like this. What do you think about it?

tomos:
just my personal opinion, wouldn't such a long list make a person lose interest? btw, how about introducing some criteria and limit to final review to something like 10-15 apps, the rest can included in an appendix.. we can also suggest that readers who don't like the the first 15 can try out the rest by using the same methods followed for the first 15 and post a mini-review.. :)
-lanux128 (April 15, 2007, 09:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

I kind of like that idea
maybe the "best" choice/selection -
a sort of a short list with more details
(no-one is volunteering to do "full" reviews but hopefully someone out there might eventually be inspired to do so!)
& then
a full list with minimal details ...

on the other hand -
I don´t think that people lose interest by the size of the list - they lose interest if the tools they look at doesn´t meet their needs.

To make them comparable you have to pick out the most interesting features people are searching for. The first one finds it more interesting to have thumbnails for pictures, the other one is more fascinated in MP3-Tagging-features, others prefer high speed searches over a very big list of files (perhaps with features to look inside archives) and less memory usage. Some wants to give out money for a good product - others don´t have enough money for that and need full featured freeware-versions and so on. I now can say that out of these huge list only a few meets my personal needs and no one has all the features I´d personally like to see. Such complex programs like catalogers are too different to say what are the "best". You can only say there´s a best one for a special usage.

Which one´s the right for you depends on whatfor you want to use it!

The biggest comparison list I found also had only very few and old entries but this was ok: http://www.cdfinder.de/list2.html The only problem is that this list is looking at rather old and only 68K-/powerpc-processor Mac-Software. This type of list is very helpful to make a good decision. A personal review also would be an addition to something like this. What do you think about it?
-Crush (April 16, 2007, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

the table there http://www.cdfinder.de/list2.html looks good.
Still cant get my head around a list of 200 and how that might look - or be presented

also as you say
To make them comparable you have to pick out the most interesting features people are searching for.
--- End quote ---
conversely,
I think the best idea would be to point out the best features/strong points of the various programmes -
then
if someone is looking for something that does good thumbnails of their photos they can dig their way through and hopefully find a recommendation ...

tomos:
I'm in a bit of a dilemma here
(or should i say I have a bit of a dilemma here - english is slowly slipping from my grasp :) - dont know if thats from living abroad or the strong beer I just drank too quickly)

Anyways, down to business!
Dilemma is I now have a list of exactly 200 Disc catalogers sent to me by Crush who says I can
You can do with it what you want
--- End quote ---

with credit naturally -
thats some list Crush!  :up:

but I still unsure how to present it.
Does anyone else have opinion or ideas - HELP  :tellme:

I could show it as a table, putting it in post 2,
that would overlap with post one but ....
Post one could become then the "best of"
Thing is I dont really want to commit myself to such long term caretaking of list
But I guess it could stand as a snapshot & people can reuse any info there if they want

From
List of disc catalogers

to
List of disc catalogers

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version