ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Looking for 'Open With...' Editor

(1/5) > >>

Curt:
For five years I was using BAxBEx OpenExpert to alter the "Open with..." options in Explorer right-click Context Menu. But BAxBEx stopped developping a long time ago, and OpenExpert really isn't that user-friendly. You cannot add a program to several extensions in one go, but will have to add it to all or to each file format at a time, making it a very tiresome procedure.

Do you know of a clever user-friendly editor of the "Open with..." option?

Curt:

- just a screenshot to stress my question:
Do you know of a clever user-friendly editor of the "Open with..." option? [/quote]

TucknDar:
I use OpenExpert, too, and while I agree that it may not be 100% perfect, I don't find it a problem with those dialogs. You can drag'n'drop apps to it, too, for faster adding of applications. I did look for such a product for a long time, but until I found OpenExpert I was never really happy with any alternatives.

I'm trying to think of the app I used before OpenExpert, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was. If I remember it, I'll post it and you can see if it suits your needs better (which I doubt, btw).

Curt:
I did look for such a product for a long time, but until I found OpenExpert I was never really happy with any alternatives. -TucknDar (March 14, 2007, 03:37 PM)
--- End quote ---

I find it very strange if no-one after all these years didn't come up with an improved version. All you have to do is to add an extra option to group various extensions, say, add all picture file types into one group: add to this program, add all music file types into another group: add to that program, etc. It may be difficult to write, but it sure sounds easy when the major part of program itself already has been written.

iphigenie:
a lot of products have a little extension manager - i think i have one that comes with regrun, one that comes with wincommander, and I'm pretty sure i have at least another 2 that came with one tool or another (either stardock's object desktop, winpatrol, the vcom utilities, registry first aid, or one of those security packages). None are particularly developed or polished.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version