ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

If you plans to install Visual Studio ...

<< < (4/5) > >>

jacquesrober:
Hello Curt,
I was waiting for some responses(suggestions) before trying anything.
I think I will uninstall .net framework and reinstall it from the microsoft site and not from my download folder, that way I should insure that I get the correct version. I will keep you posted as to the results.
jr

Curt:
I think I will uninstall .net framework and reinstall it from the microsoft site -jacquesrober (March 14, 2007, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

You could update to version 3.0 at the same go:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/windowsvista/aa904955.aspx

- I just did that yesterday; the link is not for Vista only

Curt:
I will uninstall .net framework and reinstall it from the microsoft site and not from my download folder, that way I should insure that I get the correct version.-jacquesrober (March 14, 2007, 10:09 AM)
--- End quote ---

I noticed that you'll have to choose the right language version yourself.

kyrathaba:
VS2005 is centered around .NET 2 - though their SP1 showed up around the same time as .NET 3 so I guess the two could be related. I've applied the service pack and haven't upped to .NET 3 and it's running just fine.
--- End quote ---

Same here. 

BTW, the majority of us probably won't need the extra features found in .NET 3.0; as one poster said, 3.0 isn't an overhaul of the framework the way  2.0  was for 1.0.  It's  just a little icing on the cake.

SP1 for the  IDE does take awhile to install, but it makes a lot of changes to the IDE (fixes a lot of annoying problems reported by users of VC#05 as they tested the beta).

I totally agree that Microsoft needs to spend more of their money on better-quality documentation.  I think there is a largely unspoken prevailing attitude in Redmond that most people who are going to be interested in installing a programming IDE are fairly saavy computer users and can figure things out for themselves.  A bit lazy, true, but this complacency doesn't extend to all their products.  They also know that many people never bother to read the documention anyway.  Some MS products have fairly decent documentation, though. 

And, finally, Microsoft has the enviable position of being a software superpower.  They know that they could offer "PC Wrecking Ball v1.0", an application to royally screw up a PC, and there would still be a lot of people spend $99.95 for it, just because it says "Microsoft" on it.  Name-brand recognition. 

f0dder:
SP1 for the  IDE does take awhile to install, but it makes a lot of changes to the IDE (fixes a lot of annoying problems reported by users of VC#05 as they tested the beta).
-kyrathaba
--- End quote ---
And again, some googling will show you how to tremendously speed this up.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version