ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

SlickRun

<< < (2/4) > >>

mouser:
FARR is quite adept at opening documents, conducting website searches, working with clipboard, etc., plus a ton more things :)

(make sure you request an early preview of version 2 by sending me an email or private forum message if you want to preview the new features).

f0dder:
It did cause a bit of a slowdown on my computer, but that was not really the software as much as the graphical transparency effects which seem to totally baffle my poor radeon 9800 (the same as the floating windows of bitdefender or taskbar bubbles. All slow my machine and make any game pretty much unplayable while they appear)
-iphigenie
--- End quote ---
A R9800 is a pretty darn capable card, and something like simple transparency shouldn't trouble it at all :huh:

iphigenie:
I agree f0dder, but fact is, it does  :o

If i have a game in a window - and I usually have them in a window so i can do other things as well, say run sysadmin tasks in ssh or instant messenger etc. and any transparency effect happens - a bubble message from the system tray, say, or a skin effect, or someone sending me an im in skype... the game suddenly jumps to 1fps... Even if i don't have a game in a window, it does cause slowdown. I have had to change what windowsblind skin I use as most of them have transparency now and that made it impossible to play games in a window. I have had no such problem on a notebook with a nvidia card...

I have had other reports saying that this does happen to others and yes, I agree, the card should be able to handle it so clearly it's something in the ATI drivers.

lanux128:
previously used slickrun but discovering Farr changed all that.. but it's a good program though.. :)

Nighted:
SlickRun 4.0 is in development, but Eric has been updating the current version lately.

There is now a $D$ macro that is replaced with whatever drive SlickRun is running from. This makes an indispensable portable app even more so. You can type "ww definition" and that word will show up in WordWeb if you have SlickRun configured correctly. I also use it with Locate using ""find".

I'm sure the others are good, but SlickRun does everything I want it to do.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version