ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

SlickRun

(1/4) > >>

Tinman57:
  I've been using SlickRun for over 6 months now, and I don't know how I ever lived without it.
  SlickRun is a free floating command line utility for Windows. SlickRun gives you almost instant access to any program or website. SlickRun allows you to create command aliases (known as MagicWords), so C:\Program Files\Outlook Express\msimn.exe becomes MAIL.
Enter a web URL into SlickRun and it will launch your browser and navigate to the specified address. Run multiple programs in a few keystrokes, jot a note, look up a definition... SlickRun is the most natural way to interact with your computer. 

Unlike a hotkey program that has limits, with SlickRun you hit the Windows & Q keys and a floating command line, which is totally configurable, comes up.  Now all you have to do is type in the first letter of the program you want to run (or more letters, depending on how many programs that start out with the same letters) and it automatically fills in the rest of the name for you, hit enter and your program is ran.  You can even configure it to play any sound when a program is ran.  (Mine is configured to say "Program loaded and ready")

I gave up all the hotkey programs I have ever used for this.  SlickRun will never run out of hotkeys, because there are none, the first to three letters that you type will run the program you want.

And best of all, it's free, Fast and tiny, only 170Kb.  The Bayden website has several more freebies, but I haven't checked any of them out.

System Requirements
Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista
32 mb memory
2 mb disk space

Find it here:
http://www.bayden.com/SlickRun/

mouser:
SlickRun is a good program, but while you're checking out SlickRun, make sure you check out our own Find and Run Robot (FARR):

Version 2 of Find and Run Robot has been in *heavy* development over the last 2 months and is bursting at the seems with new features, including plugins (see this thread for info on how to request a download link for version 2).

Note: there are now a ton of programs to do this kind of thing and the FARR help file has links to every single one i know about.

cnewtonne:
I used slickrun a while ago for more than a year. It certainly is a good app but development is painfully slow if not halted altogether. Not sure if things have changed since then.

Ruffnekk:
It sounds like SlickRun is exactly like my Fixed Run Dialog application. You might want to give it a try to compare them ;)

iphigenie:
I think one of the differences between the version of FARR that I have tried and slickrun is that slickrun can open particular web pages or documents, whereas from what I could try FARR just starts programs.

Farr seems to run off a database of "what an executable name could be for" whereas slickrun is for the most part hand-configured. As a result farr works out of the box, whereas slickrun needs configuring. But slickrun allows for its use as a proper command line, to an extent, as well as an app starter tool, which i don't think is the case with farr (i'm sure you'll correct me, its very possible i only used 5% of what farr could do)

It did cause a bit of a slowdown on my computer, but that was not really the software as much as the graphical transparency effects which seem to totally baffle my poor radeon 9800 (the same as the floating windows of bitdefender or taskbar bubbles. All slow my machine and make any game pretty much unplayable while they appear)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version