ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Super Flexible File Synchronizer Pro says Zaine

<< < (2/13) > >>

taichimaster:
Thanks KenR and Zaine for pointing out this nice program.  It does look flexible though a bit pricey.  Discount on this would definitely be nice.  Go Zaine!!

I have been using Dillobits InSync for my mirroring needs.  I found it much faster and accurate than synctoy or syncback.

Super Flexible File Synchronizer Pro says Zaine

tomos:
The only sync app I’ve found to be as accurate is DirSync, but it’s not as fast as Super Flexible File Synchronizer Pro. It has both a wizard step-by-step mode or an advanced mode. Profiles are simple to setup, easy to alter, and can be scheduled remotely. Worth every penny to protect your files.
--- End quote ---
(from the review)

I presume "It has both a wizard step-by-step mode or an advanced mode. Profiles are simple to setup, easy to alter, and can be scheduled remotely" refers to SFFS.

but DirSynch is less than half the price

SFFS would want to be a lot faster or you want to be synching lots of stuff ...

urlwolf:
I have been using Dillobits InSync for my mirroring needs.  I found it much faster and accurate than synctoy or syncback.
--- End quote ---

Looks like  as soon as one digs up a bit SyncBack is not that great.

I like some things about SB, for example the  fact that you can hit pause and resume a profile, and that options are (finally!) nicely structured and with an icon.

But in my tests SFFS is really fast. SFTP and webDAV (and amazon S 3!) is a plus. Another interesting feature is the "detect moved files" feature (lot less transfer).

Taichimaster, could you run a simple test comparing your favourite Dillobits InSync against SFFS? that'd be great.

urlwolf:
In my case (I dunno if it's a bit extreme) I want to have a current mirror to an external HD (updating often, maybe every 2-3 days, and a remote backup (to a server) updating maybe monthly.

I have 14 Gb and 115,000 files that I want to synchronize. That's quite a load for the remote job, so I need to split the job into smaller profiles, and upload the differences at different, random times. So any improvements in speed would be appreciated.

Looks like SFFS doesn't let you select sub-folders (maybe because of its design and the "detect moved files" feature.

Ideally, a sync program should keep a catalog (as backup4all does) to quickly see which folder one has worked on in a particular day. Mind you, maybe checking the OS's "recent folders" would be enough, or just monitoring HD I/O. That would save time in rescaning the entire drive every time a profile is run.Anyone with a similar situation?

Benchmarking all the programs compared would be great.
Looks like a good review is brewing here... Anyone up for the job?

urlwolf:
Actually, a category in itself would be those programs do 'patches' (aka delta backup), that is, they copy/move only the bits of the file that have changed. Any of these delta backup programs should beat traditional ones at speed.

Unison is one of them. Note that the same authors have started a new project: Harmony. So Unison is kind of unsupported, and looks like something that needs an important time investment.

Commercial software that does delta backup:
Novell's ifolders, According to http://www.ifolder.com/ [ifolder.com]: " iFolder is a simple and secure storage solution that can increase your productivity by enabling you to back up, access and manage your personal files-from anywhere, at any time. Once you have installed iFolder, you simply save your files locally-as you have always done-and iFolder automatically updates the files on a network server and delivers them to the other machines you use. Sponsored by Novell, the iFolder project is built on the Mono/.Net framework to integrate seamlessly into existing desktop environments. ".

The flash presentation says that it uses delta backup, but it is not featured in the description. Problem: only usable acrross the net, no HD backup possible.

Price: $51.99
It seems that v 3 is OSS, although that must be the server? I dunno, slashdot commentaries here.

Another delta backup tool: Suresync. price=$69, same as SFFSP-WTF :). It does provide real-time syncing and delta backup using an addon (sold separately), I mailed them for a quote.

Looks like it really has lots of features!

Depending on how expensive the addon is, and how unusable/time-consuming Unison is, this could be an interesting pick. It can do HD backups fine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version