ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

News and Reviews > Mini-Reviews by Members

Avafind mini review

<< < (2/4) > >>

Change:
I love AvaFind because of its simplicity and extremely fast startup time (to get to the screen and search). I just tried X1 but find it too complicated and slow.. I'd rather use Copernic instead of X1. I use Copernic for thorough finding and searching through email and documents, and AvaFind for quick file searches.

About the problems the previous poster mentioned:
- I never noticed AvaFind making my PC slow or using too many resources. Even when it's creating its cache, my PC is not slow. I very rarely had to refresh the cache, but when I did, it was done within 15 minutes (500GB+) and the computer remained responsive.
- I've only experienced AvaFind crashes on startup when Windows crashed or was closed down improperly before. This is an experience from several PC's.
- Fair point about the mount points, that is a shame.

Too bad this program is not being developed actively anymore. I love it and it would be nice if it would be improved.

Darwin:
I love X1 but it doesn't play nice with Outlook 2003 on my machine and I experienced a lot of errors running it. I also found that it was sporadically S-L-O-O-O-O-O-O-W (ie it was slow at some times and pretty snappy at others - never could find a common thread). However, I've switched to Copernic 2 and while it is more stable, find it like molasses as well. I *think* I might give FileHand another go (it was the first indexer that i tried, about 7 years ago). It's important to me that the contents of files and my e-mails be indexed in addition to file and folder names, which is what I gather Avafind does?

Change:
AvaFind does not index the contents of files and does not index emails either. It's purely to find files fast (much faster than the bigger search programs, especially if you include startup time of the search/results screen) and the ability to perform explorer tasks on the files.

Darwin:
Thanks Change - that last sentence in my post should read: "...which I gather Avafind does not do" - I rewrote the message extensively and missed revising that.

edbro:
However, I've switched to Copernic 2 and while it is more stable, find it like molasses as well. -Darwin (March 11, 2007, 06:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Slow at what? Searching or indexing? I don't notice much system degradation at all with Copernic. I'm running it on an older (slow) laptop.

What I like about Copernic is that it doesn't need to open a browser window to display the results, unlike Google's Desktop Search.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version