ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

nostalgia hour: old software you loved

<< < (5/9) > >>

iphigenie:
That's so true - most of the programs I have registered were utilities of some sort, more than applications that actually do something - and things which i believe should be in the OS.

But in a way MS are doomed if they do, doomed if they don't

If they take some tool or function that many people see as so necessary that they buy/install third party software, and put that in a tool that's part of the OS, they get screaming mobs accusing them of killing an industry etc. It happened when they announced they would add defrag, a firewall, skins... and quite a few other things.

Sometimes they tip toe the line and put a primitively simple version of the tool, sometimes they just leave it be.

mrainey:
One program I really loved in my earlier computing years (~1985) was AutoCAD v1.xx.  It ran from two floppies on a Tandy 2000, and came with a great manual that taught me all I needed to know.  AutoCAD helped me earn a living for a number of years.

The Tandy wasn't too shabby either.

AndyM:
HotLine (phonebook, dialer, call log).  Ran it on our 8088 PCs and Compaq Portable, ran it for years under OS/2, and still run it under XP.  It's got to be pushing 20 years now.

And I still run SuperKey in the command window I use for HotLine.  Works better than AutoHotkey in this one situation.  Pretty sure I bought and registered SuperKey a bit before Hotline, so I guess that's my oldest still in use.

dcm:
edbro, I would like to be able to use macros in MS Word, but I haven't had much luck in replacing my DOS Wordstar macros, which allow me to search a database and merge based on user defined selections.  Maybe I need to learn VBA...

Ruffnekk:
The programs that come to my mind are:

DOS:
- Norton Commander
- BlueWave (BBS Message Reader)
- ARJ Compression
- NE (No Edlin Ever)
- LXPix Image Viewer
- VGA Paint (Image Editor)
- DOSStart
- Directory Freedom
- QuickBasic
- IBM DOS

WIN 3.x:
- Netscape Navigator
- mIRC
- Paint Shop Pro
- Visual Basic 1 & 2
- PC Tools (my absolute favourite software at the time)

I don't have any of these anymore, so I can't tell you any version numbers. I must've used many more apps, but these I remember now...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version