ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

nostalgia hour: old software you loved

<< < (3/9) > >>

dk70:
Directory Freedom or DF for Dos and short file names only http://home.comcast.net/~ghaff/bitmason/dflyer.html In late 80s, early 90s it made Philips XT computer seem responsive. Written in assembler he says - Norton Commander was bloat ;)

mouser:
one word: xywrite

dcm:
I started off with the CP/M operating system, and used Wordstar, Supercalc, and dBase.  I upgraded to a PC clone, and copied these data files to my PC.  Through the years I upgraded these DOS based programs, and I continue to use them today.  I can't find better Windows programs which allow me to customize them to the same degree.  (But I need to use Microsoft and Lotus products so that I can talk to people who use them.)

edbro:
I started off with the CP/M operating system, and used Wordstar, Supercalc, and dBase.  I upgraded to a PC clone, and copied these data files to my PC.  Through the years I upgraded these DOS based programs, and I continue to use them today.  I can't find better Windows programs which allow me to customize them to the same degree.  (But I need to use Microsoft and Lotus products so that I can talk to people who use them.)
-dcm (March 03, 2007, 09:42 AM)
--- End quote ---
Surely you jest? I had those same CPM programs on my Kaypro II. I still remember most of the Wordstar control codes. But, I can't say that it was more customizable than Word for Windows. With Word you can customize most everything easily through the options or macros. And, for word processing, nothing beats WYSIWYG.

Josh:
I have to say, the best word processor for me in the DOS days was ENABLE. Anyone remember this one?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version