ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

DonationCoder.com Software > ProcessTamer

Bug with the "below normal" , "above normal" , "real time" priorities

<< < (4/6) > >>

shmate:

Reminder:
This bug is very annoying  :(

mouser:
this thread is to my everlasting shame :(
ok let me try to fix once again.

Kruskal:
I could have asked my question in a new thread, but it seemed to fit in here:

When I set a process Force Normal, say, is it still subject to CPU Smoothing? I assume from the above that it is and "should be". That is what I want to happen. Is it?

But in general, it seems as though it should be an option.  That is Force and Ignore are really orthogonal concepts. Am I right in this? Is this generally recognized as a possible improvement to this wonderful program?

Thanks -- Vincent

mouser:
My memory is that setting any Force option will keep it from being "tamed", because taming by definition means changing its priority to a lower level.

So normally if one sets a process to "Force Below Normal" you are telling Process Tamer: "don't bother watching this and assigning it a low priority when it hogs the cpu, instead just always keep it below normal priority".

Can you give me an example case of when you'd want it forced to something AND at the same time want PT to watch it and reduce its priority to something else when it starts using too much of the cpu?

Kruskal:
My memory is that setting any Force option will keep it from being "tamed", because taming by definition means changing its priority to a lower level.

So normally if one sets a process to "Force Below Normal" you are telling Process Tamer: "don't bother watching this and assigning it a low priority when it hogs the cpu, instead just always keep it below normal priority".

Can you give me an example case of when you'd want it forced to something AND at the same time want PT to watch it and reduce its priority to something else when it starts using too much of the cpu?
-mouser (August 12, 2010, 06:39 PM)
--- End quote ---
The example is in my other recent post, "Can Process Tamer tame Firefox ?". Firefox was running High and using 98%+ CPU. I don't know why it was High. If I changed it to Normal in the Task Manager, it soon went back to High. So I wanted ProcessTamer to set it Normal, but it still needed taming.

The final wrinkle of the story is that my changes to the ProcessTamer  Config tamed Firefox BUT there was nothing in the Log to show how. Changing the Config tamed it but ProcessTamer did nothing. (See the other thread.)

Thanks -- Vincent

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version