ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firewalls - please, i can't be bothered.

<< < (2/17) > >>

nudone:
i think i had outpost 3.5, it might have been a bit of an earlier version i can't remember now.

I can't really remember either if i stopped using it because my subscription ran out (does it run out, i can't remember) or there was something it did that didn't agree with my machine.

if it i stopped using it because of the cost then i must have just thought, hey, zone alarm is free i'll go back to using that. zone alarm is the one i've used over the years more than anything else - simply because i'll use freeware and then i know what i'm talking about when i recommend it to other people that i know aren't going to pay for a firewall (same applies with anti-virus).

so, i could dig out the version of outpost i have and see if it works - or doesn't do something weird with my machine.

i get the feeling there is something not quite right with my current system setup but after all the trouble i had recently trying to install a dual boot kind of machine i'm not in a hurry to wipe this present system and start again.

i'm now going to have a look for my outpost - maybe i'll just go and buy vista - i see it's got out bound firewall blocking (if you turn it on). yeah, right, like i'd waste my money on that turkey.

edit:
i shouldn't have said it was a turkey, i know i'll end up using it eventually. i should have said now i see why it is so much better than xp - out bound firewall blocking.

Carol Haynes:
Certainly Outpost 4 was beyond the pale for me - I still have a current subscription but I am not installing it again. I tried reinstalling 3.5 but it keeps insisting I should upgrade to v. 4 and I am not sure it is updating any more.

Now I am just using Windows XP Firewall behind a hardware wireless firewall - no problems for me and my machine runs so much faster and better.

nudone:
right, no outpost 3.5 for me then.

so, i'm back to the windows firewall and router too. i'd still like something that just gave me a little message to say such and such program is trying to access the net.

tranglos:
i think i had outpost 3.5, it might have been a bit of an earlier version i can't remember now.

I can't really remember either if i stopped using it because my subscription ran out (does it run out, i can't remember) or there was something it did that didn't agree with my machine.
-nudone (February 25, 2007, 01:54 PM)
--- End quote ---

The subscription is only for upgrades - when it runs out after a year, you can't install newer versions published after that date. The program itsel'f doesn't expire. So instead of making you pay for each major version upgrade, they charge for upgrades once a year.

tranglos:
I tried reinstalling 3.5 but it keeps insisting I should upgrade to v. 4 and I am not sure it is updating any more.
-Carol Haynes (February 25, 2007, 02:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

You can turn off the upgrade prompt, I think. It's not like an antivirus that needs to update itself every week or so. Outpost does download new spyware definitions, and I'm not sure if it keeps updating those when your subscription expires, but the spyware detection engine is only a sideshow.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version