ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Guy Tries Ubuntu

<< < (3/3)

f0dder:
I guess I should brush up my switch/comparison thingy that I never really finished... after all I have some years of linux experience, from my original purchase of redhat 5.1 across various levels of engagement with slackware, debian, gentoo, ubuntu, freebsd, archlinux et cetera.

I'm a power user and programmer (high- as well as low-level) on windows, and I've had my hands dirty enough with linux to set it up for ADSL routing (with two NICs, ipfilter, the works), encrypted root filesystems, etc...

Basically I don't see a reason to switch if the system is going to run slower and be more difficult for my daily use, etc. And that's been my experience so far. At least I've been able to fix the issues I've had (those that were fixable!), but would you expect a regular user (or even a power user?) to know to manually edit xorg.conf to get something as trivial as a dual-monitor setup t work?

I guess I should get back to that writing that thingamajig :)

housetier:
Look at it the other way: I am so used to they way X Windows works I am severly handicapped when I have to work with MS Windows. C&P jsut doesn't work as I am used to I have to install software to get virtual desktops/workspaces.

I understand everybody's trouble with linux. Linux akes trouble for them not because it is inerior, limited, or plain bad, but because it is different.

If you ain't happy with linux, don't use it! Fighting the OS is not productive.

mwang:
I've been using Linux for 3+years. Tried Redhat, Mandrake, Xandora and Ubuntuu before settling on Fedora. My server now runs Fedora 6.

I still use Windows for my desktop. My Linux server box doesn't even have its own monitor; I manage it from Windows. But it's not because Linux GUI (X-Win, KDE or GNOME) is bad. Before the fancy ones on the newest breed of Linux distros--including Ubuntuu 7--the GUI was quite adequate for me. The learning curve varies from user to user and from distro to distro (Ubuntuu is harder for me personally because I started out on Redhat), but it's not that difficult.

What really has me leashed to Windows is software, the applications and utilities I rely on for my daily work and life. Setting up a Linux box during the weekend is one thing, trying to master another office suite enough to do the daily work as efficiently as I'm doing with MS Office is another, but still doable. Having to learn a new scripting language well enough to convert all my handmade tools (VBA scripts) so I can accomplish the jobs no office suite (either MS or others) would do for me, however, has made it impossible so far. Give me a free summer then maybe I can do it, otherwise I'm trapped.

Armando:
Give me a free summer then maybe I can do it, otherwise I'm trapped.
-mwang (August 11, 2007, 10:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

I've tried several summers... i'm still trapped.

But I still have hope. One day...

IMHO, even more resources should go into developping virtualization solutions and other compatibility layers like... Wine.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version