ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

ThunderBird users, read here

(1/3) > >>

f0dder:
Hey!

In my hunt for anti-spam, I've decided to give ThunderBird a try at the museum I help out. Before I do so, I'd like to know if any of you have experiences with having a lot of mails in it? Currently, one of the people there has Outlook Express mailboxes of a gig or more, and I wonder if ThunderBird can import that, work with it, and still be reasonably fast?

Josh:
I have an IMAP mailbox of around 450MB as of right now and thunderbird runs like a champ. By the way, this imap account is set to d/l each message, so they are all stored locally as well as remotely.

dantheman:
Hey!

In my hunt for anti-spam, I've decided to give ThunderBird a try at the museum I help out. Before I do so, I'd like to know if any of you have experiences with having a lot of mails in it? Currently, one of the people there has Outlook Express mailboxes of a gig or more, and I wonder if ThunderBird can import that, work with it, and still be reasonably fast?

-f0dder (February 23, 2007, 04:30 AM)
--- End quote ---

If you have a zillion messages i would first set the options to not download any over 250ks at first then when i have some spare time i would download all completely.

Use MozBackup http://mozbackup.jasnapaka.com to backup all your messages, contacts etc. afterwards.

If your email service has an archiving feature, i would use that to set aside messages of lesser importance or relevance.  Make sense?

f0dder:
A zillion mails in the OE mailbox *on disk*, not on server :) - wouldn't be a problem if it was on server anyway, there's an 8mbit connection there. The issue is whether ThunderBird can handle a lot of mails efficiently... According to Josh, it probably will.

dantheman:
I don't see why Thunderbird couldn't handle the load.
A quick search brought this up for importing from OE at: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Import_from_Outlook_Express

My personal concern would be the Thunderbird "search" capabilities.
Is it as good as OE's? I haven't worked with OE in years!
Barca or recent Poco have a relatively good support of IMAP accounts (i did say "relatively") but their search feature IMO is quite simply unparalleled.

To me, the later could be a determining factor in a Museum context for quick access to information on large message boxes.   :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version