ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Other Software > Developer's Corner

Introductory C# web-based tutorials

<< < (4/17) > >>

kyrathaba:
I'm also considering this PC:

HP/Compaq dx5150 Small Form Factor PC
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Dual Core Processor

Specifications:

Operating Systems    Genuine Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition SP2
    Platform     PC
    Form Factor    Small Form Factor (SFF)
    PCI Slots (Total) Learn More    2
    Expansion Slots    4
    Processor Brand    AMD
    Processor Class    Athlon 64 X2
    Processor Number    4200
    Processor Speed    2.20GHz

Additional Technologies    Dual-Core Technology
HyperTransport Technology
    Memory Type    DDR
    Total Memory    1.0GB
    Interface    SATA/150
    Capacity    160GB
    Optical Drive Type    DVD±RW Dual Layer Lightscribe
    Audio Description    Integrated Audio
    Graphics Description    Integrated Graphics
    Video Memory    up to 128MB Shared Memory
    Communications Description    Integrated LAN Support
Data Transfer Rate   
10Mbps
100Mbps
1000Mbps

kyrathaba:
Fortunately I was able to salvage desired files/folders off my hard drive, so I did NOT lose the work I'd done on the flash presentation reviewing tutorials one through five in the C# series I'm writing.  Not to mention the quiz program which was about halfway finished.  Whew!

I settled on a Gateway GT5026E with a dual-core processor running at 2.8 GHz, and 1 GB of DDR2 RAM (upgradeable to 4 GB).  I was assured that the GMA900 Graphics would support the 1440x900 native resolution of my widescreen LCD monitor.

LOL, I've had quite a history of PCs:

1st computer I ever owned:  Acer Pentium 166 MHz, 32 Mb RAM, 2.1 GB hard drive

2nd computer: Dell Dimension 550 MHz PIII, 128 Mb RAM, 4 GB hard drive

3rd computer: Compaq Presario S5000CL 2.13 GHz P4, 512 Mb RAM, 40 GB hard drive

jgpaiva:
I have no knowledge as desktop computer go, but i have a laptop acer and would definitelly not recomend acer over compaq.

kyrathaba:
Question: can a non-SATA hard drive be put into one of those hard drive enclosure kits that turns your HD into an external drive, and then used with a computer whose hard drive IS of the SATA type?  My new computer will have a SATA drive, and I'm wondering if I can rig my old PC's hard drive to work as an external drive with it.

Another question:  we are getting another worker in my program at my clinic.  They have software they use that our network admin doesn't want installed on this computer, because our clients also have access to this computer.  Her question to me was could she plug an external hard drive into this computer via USB, and run her software from it, never interacting with this computer's drive?

mouser:
it is very very easy to do what you want.  If you get an IDE external USB drive enclosure (which are super cheap these days), you can plug this into any computer and read from the drive.  I highly recommend such external drives for backup purposes.  Just get one that you can easily open up and put your drive into it (ie dont buy one of those seagate onetouch things with a non-openable built in hard drive).  The idea of putting your old drive in a usb enclosure to access it from new computer is a good one.

I've been happy buying such stuff from www.Directron.com but www.newegg.com is a great place for all hardware.

As to your second question about running from the external drive without installing on the pc -- whether you can do this may depend on the software you care about, HOWEVER -- keep in mind that the usb drive will look just like a regular drive so that any client who can access the main computer will be able to access the external drive, so i'm not sure your network admin will be satisfied with the solution..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version